2

Hello, all. I just want to say thank you for taking the time to read my story. I really appreciate it! Time is precious so I do apologize if this was not worthwhile. Anyhow, I'm still really grateful that you're here. I don't have a set schedule on when I'll be updating new chapters but my goal is to write everyday and publish as soon as possible. Thanks again and enjoy!

Best,
freeonelee

Neteyam could barely focus on what his father and the Olo'eyktan were discussing. Their voices were like distant echoes in the back of his mind. He was too concentrated on how he was going to stay away from Aonung. As partners on this mission, they were bound to be with each other at every moment. It was going to be a challenge trying to avoid him.

"Are you hearing this, Neteyam?" His father asked but he was still lost in thought.

"Neteyam?"

Neteyam blinked, now meeting his father's eyes.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I wasn't listening."

"Should I reassign this mission to another?"

"No," Neteyam replied right away. "I'm sorry. My mind was elsewhere but I assure you, I hear you now."

The journey south was going to take a few days. Neteyam and Aonung were to deliver reinforcements, relay their fathers' messages and return with a full report on the islands' status. The mission seemed simple but it was extremely dangerous, especially with armies of sky people close by and undetected.

Ideally, they would return a few days before Lo'ak and Tsireya's union ceremony. One might've thought it was foolish, throwing such a celebration in a time of war but in truth, everyone was looking forward to it. Since the war began, the people have been restless, living each day like their last. This celebration allowed everyone to forget for a while and appreciate Eywa's greatest gift: life.

The boys headed down to the training caves with their fathers shortly after their briefing. Unless there was a mission to run, their every day routine was pretty much the same. They woke up early, ate their morning meals, and headed down for combat training. Afterwards, they would take turns patrolling and scouting the nearby islands and waters. Some days, they'd hunt with other members of the clan. Hunting days were Neteyam's favorite.

When they arrived at the training caves, dozens of Metkayina were already dueling while others were cleaning and sharpening spears in the weapons area.

Neteyam had already discussed it with his father. He would be making more arrows during the early hours of training to prepare for his upcoming mission. Because it was only him and his mother who used a bow in battle, they were really the only ones who needed them. It wasn't a problem though since Neteyam liked his arrows crafted a certain way anyway.

After a few hours of combat training, Neteyam returned to the weapons area. Occasionally, his eyes would wander toward the dueling arena, spying on a particular Metkayina. A few stolen glances here and there didn't hurt as long as he didn't get caught. Aonung would never let him live if he caught him staring. He would tease him to no end. So, Neteyam had to be careful.

Usually, it was always Neteyam and Aonung. Rotxo finished his training early. Something about helping his mother with his baby twin sisters. As for Lo'ak, he was allowed free time to be with his soon-to-be mate. Time alone with Aonung wasn't always this precarious. If Aonung didn't bother Neteyam, he'd be okay. If Aonung pulled his strings, there was no telling what would happen.

They were the last ones to leave the training grounds as always. Neteyam was tidying up the weapons area when Aonung called out.

"Care for a quick sparring?"