5

When Neteyam returned to his family's tent, he was met with questioning eyes from Lo'ak. He did his best to settle his emotions as he looked away from his brother.

"Are you alright?" Lo'ak asked.

"Fine."

"You should be resting—"

"I don't need you telling me what to do," Neteyam snapped. Lo'ak watched him for a moment before going to grab his riding armor.

"What's gotten into you?"

"Sorry," Neteyam said quickly, shutting his eyes. "I'm sorry."

Lo'ak said nothing but didn't hold it against him.

"Did you see Aonung?"

"What?"

"Aonung," Lo'ak said again. "He's supposed to go hunting with me and Roxto."

"Oh," Neteyam muttered. "No, I didn't."

Lo'ak was studying Neteyam again, trying to read him.

"I'll stay with you if you'd like. I don't have to go—"

"No, no, go. Don't want your new family thinking you're a layabout now—"

Just then someone entered the tent.

"Aonung! There you are," Lo'ak called out. Neteyam nearly choked.

"Hey Lo'ak," Aonung said. "I'm skipping out on hunting."

"Okay—"

"Neteyam, may I have a word with you?"

Neteyam's cheeks flushed pink. If he denied Aonung, would Lo'ak question him? Damn it all.

"Sure," Neteyam said flatly.

Lo'ak watched them leave, heedless to the tension.

Neteyam kept a good distance between him and Aonung. They walked for a while until they were out of the caves and in the open air once again.

"Where are we going?" Neteyam asked, almost annoyed.

Aonung sighed. "Somewhere more private," he answered.

When Aonung stopped walking, Neteyam made sure not to run into him. Aonung turned around and without a word, took Neteyam's hand. Neteyam tried to yank it back but Aonung pulled him forward.

"What—what are you doing?" Neteyam looked at him, alarmed at his roughness.

When he saw Aonung struggle to put the bracelet around his wrist, he almost hissed.

"Stop—I don't want it," Neteyam protested. With his other hand, he tugged his wrist free. He stepped back, holding his hand.

Aonung reached for Neteyam's hand again, this time gentle. He placed the bracelet in Neteyam's palm before stepping back and looking off to the side of the rocky cliff they now stood on.

"I told you I don't want it," Neteyam said again.

"It's for you and you only. It's not meant to be anyone else's," Aonung said. "If you don't want it, throw it away. Toss it back into the ocean for all I care."

He wasn't shouting at Neteyam but it sure felt like it. Neteyam stared at the bracelet before clutching it in his hand.

"You believe I threaten you," Aonung said. "But you're wrong. When you return to your forest, I'll be alone—I have no choice but to move on."

"I—"

"Please let me finish," Aonung said, as gently as he could. "I cannot have you as my mate, I know. I've learned to accept that—may still be learning but that's beyond the point. I cannot have you but I still have a duty to fulfill as future Olo'eyktan which means I must choose my tsahik."