CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

Brad took me on errands to the petrol station, the bank, the chemist and the supermarket by ten a

Brad took me on errands to the petrol station, the bank, the chemist and the supermarket by ten a.m. and even found the time to buy drive-through coffee and exotic fruit punnets, all before he used the pick-up and drop-off point directly outside the main entrance of St Mary's Hospital to park the Bentley. He had to collect Alexa and the new baby from The Lindo Wing.

I had a feeling he would be gone for a while, so I climbed out of the car to stretch my legs. An entire morning in the passenger seat whilst the man perambulated through London had taken its toll on my limbs.

My phone vibrated.

Mary: Are you busy tomorrow?

I tapped a response.

Me: I will check the calendar.

Message read.

Mary: Seriously?

Me: What?

Mary: Is this your idea of a joke?

Me: An offensive joke, apparently.

Mary: Jesus, Emma. Are you busy or not?

Me: My life is boring. What do you think?

Mary: Then come over for dinner tomorrow night.

Me: Maybe.

Mary: This whole unapproachable visage is exhausting. Just accept the invite and offer to bring expensive wine.

Me: I will bring cheap wine.

Mary: See? Was that so hard?

Me: Extremely.

Mary: Bye, Emma!

Me: Adios, Mary!

My sister sent a middle finger emoji.

Smiling at the message thread, I locked the phone, ready to tuck it in my pocket, when a shadow fell over me. I peered up, and the familiar face of an old friend was right in front of me. "Hey." Although the two of us had patched things up recently, I remained hypervigilant in his proximity. "Rough night?"

"Something like that." Jace rubbed his eyes beneath Ray-Ban aviator sunglasses. "A dose of caffeine ought to do the trick."

An awkward silence fell over us. "So, Brad told me about the baby," I said conversationally to break the ice. "Alexa gave birth on the side of a motorway. I think he is still traumatised."

"It was definitely an experience." His eyes sparkled with amusement. "Alexa handled the pain like a soldier. I am so proud of her." Shoving his arms into the sleeves of a leather jacket, he unscrewed the cap of a takeaway coffee cup and blew over the hot, steamy surface. "Do you want some?"

"I am okay." A gentle breeze teased the hair out of my face. "Thank you, though."

He stared for several seconds like something was on his mind. "Have you spoken to Tommy lately?"