His Heart in Her Hand

Chapter 5: His Heart in Her Hand

11 Years Ago
Konoha Training Grounds

Hana studied her new teammates and tried to figure out if she had gotten gypped. Aburame Itsuki wasn't exactly the weirdest person she knew, but he ranked pretty high up there. And he was boring. She didn't care if he had bugs living under his skin. There was still something pretty strange about someone who wore sunglasses and a big jacket even in this heat.

Then there was Uchiha Itachi. She scowled at him. He was ignoring her. Wrinkling her nose, she buried her fingers into the fur of her favorite puppy and tried to decide if she could get away with throwing a kunai at him. She didn't like to be ignored. It didn't matter that he was ignoring everyone, even bug-boy - who he seemed to watch whenever he could - with an expression that was carefully blank. It made her want to throw a kunai at him.

It was really unfair that she got him out of everyone else.

What was so interesting about bugs, anyway? She had Onshi, which was cooler than anything Itsuki could do. He had bugs. She had a dog. She didn't care if Itachi was a genius; he missed some rather obvious things. Narrowing her eyes, she turned her attention back to their teacher. There was a faint twitch under the Jounin's eye. Her uncle had one of those.

"So," their new sensei said mildly. "Perhaps we can begin by talking about what we like and what we plan on doing as shinobi. Hana, why don't you go first?"

Hana stared at him. What? He wanted her to go first? Crossing her arms, she continued to stare at him, and when he didn't even blink, sighed.

"Dogs."

There! Let him make of that what he wished. Hana tilted her head and wondered how long it would take before the Jounin started rubbing his nose. She had seen Uchiha-sama make the motion once or twice... actually; any adult around Itachi seemed to develop that particular habit, but most especially his oto-san.

"And what do want to do as a shinobi?"

Hana huffed. "What all shinobi want to do, sensei."

The jounin sighed.

"Itachi?"

Itachi tilted his head and was silent for a long time. Hana didn't particularly like those silences. They usually meant Itachi was planning something and she hated it when he made her look like an idiot. So, she poked him in the arm. He cut his eyes to her, clearly unappreciative of the gesture.

"I like rice balls," he said. "I'm going to kill Orochimaru."

The jounin blinked. "Okay... That's a very... interesting... goal."

Itachi just shrugged, dark eyes unblinking.

"I like flowers." Itsuki said softly from where he was sitting. "Especially poisonous ones. I plan on becoming at least a jounin, perhaps ANBU."

The jounin nodded looking slightly relieved. "Excellent."

She sensed weakness. Hana jabbed Itachi with her elbow as the Jounin stood and directed them to the woods to start testing their abilities.

"Bet I can make him crack before you."

Itachi snorted. "You shouldn't make bets you can't win, Inuzuka."

She glared at him. "Bet you three dango sticks I can do it."

Itachi tilted head and for a moment and his eyes gleamed red. "I like goma."

Hana rolled her eyes. "You're going to lose."

He smirked. "I don't lose, Hana. You'll learn."

X