Flirting

Chapter 3: Flirting?

16 Years Ago
Uchiha Compound

Itachi stared at the small body that was his little brother. Sasuke was all right for a baby he supposed. Not nearly as annoying as Hana's little brother and Sasuke occasionally hit what he was aiming at with rice balls. Itachi had tried to give him some helpful suggestions, but besides chewing on his fist or gurgling out what sounded like "Ini," Sasuke hadn't exactly proven to Itachi that he was worth any time. Ka-chan had promised that he hadn't said or done a lot when he was Sasuke's age either, but he sincerely doubted he was as slow developing rice ball attacks as his brother. At the least he was certain that he had managed to say the names of those around him fair quicker than Sasuke.

Still, Ka-chan had said that Sasuke was important and she smiled every time she saw them together. So Itachi made sure that he spent some time daily with Sasuke, preferably when his mother could see it. However, today, Sasuke was trying something new. It was the first time Itachi had actually understood why his mother was so fascinated with Sasuke.

Fugaku had taken Ka-san out to get some time away from the baby. Well, he was pretty sure Ka-chan had threatened their unfortunate Oto-san with bodily harm if she didn't get a break, and so Itachi found himself watching the baby. The baby that was staring at him with big, adoring eyes as he kept pushing himself to his feet when he was supposed to be taking a nap. There was something about watching a very small person try something for the first time that was fascinating. A newness that couldn't be defined... and if Sasuke kept going, Ka-chan was going to be very disappointed that she didn't see his first steps.

"If you do that when Ka-chan isn't here to see, she is going to upset." Itachi warned Sasuke, but he hunkered down and held out his hands anyway. There was something about watching Sasuke try something new, his balance unstable as he teetered on his feet that brought a smile to his face. He wanted to see if Sasuke could do it. He would just make a point to not mention it to Ka-chan.

"'Ini!" Sasuke said, smile lighting up his round face. Shifting his weight, he took several steps forward before falling back onto his well-padded bottom with a surprised look. His little brows bunched together and he looked like he was torn between crying and trying again.

"Come here, Sasuke." Itachi said calmly. Sasuke stared, shoving his fist in his mouth before grinning widely and pushing himself up, nose wrinkling as he tried again. This time he reached Itachi's outstretched hands just as his balance gave out, small body planting itself firmly in his firm grip.

Sasuke stared up at his brother, blinking those large eyes before grinning widely. "'Ini!'

Itachi blinked down at the very happy baby in his arms, the way the one small fist clenched his shirt and the thumb now firmly planted in his mouth as he leaned forward so that his head rested against his chest.

"'Ini," Sasuke murmured before shoving his thumb even further into his mouth and relaxing, clearly content where he was. Itachi hesitated before settling one hand on the baby's back, the other sliding under his bottom and lifting him against his chest. Sasuke snuggled even further against him, seemingly content to be held.

Itachi held Sasuke for long moments, brows furrowed in thought. Sasuke had taken his first steps to him. While not exactly the wisest idea, since his mother was going to be very displeased if she ever learned about this, it was clear that his baby brother had made the choice himself.

Ka-chan was always telling him that there were people that every individual was meant to protect. That sometimes you were chosen to protect them and sometimes you chose to protect them. Sasuke had walked to him, of all the family he could have chosen to make his first movements in the world with.