After The Fall

April 1998

Stevie sat cross legged on her bed at her parents house. She still wasn't ready to go back to California and at this point, she wasn't sure she ever would be. She looked down and rested her hands on the tiny bump growing beneath her shirt and smiled to herself, "hey there little one."

She was only four months pregnant, and she knew she needed to tell Lindsey. She sat with the phone in front of her. How was she supposed to do this? In her first month in Arizona he had called several times looking for her. She never answered his calls. Was she supposed to tell him over the phone? Was she supposed to ask him to come to her so she could tell him face to face? Did he even need to know at all?

He definitely needed to know. Her family had been pressuring her to tell him since she found out. It was now or never. She would decide what to do when she heard his voice.

She glanced down at her small baby bump and took a deep breath, "alright, we're going to call daddy now. Wish me luck."

She picked up the phone and dialed the unfamiliar number that Karen had provided her with. He must have moved in with Kristen after he moved out of their place. It rang and rang and she almost thought no one was going to pick up, until she heard the voice of another woman on the other end of the line.

"Hello?" Kristen said when she answered the phone.

Stevie hadn't been expecting her to pick up and she almost hung up the phone, but she quickly decided if she didn't do this now, she never would. "Hi. I'm looking for Lindsey Buckingham. Is he there?"

"May I ask who's calling?"

"It's um....It's Stevie," she said, not knowing how much Lindsey had told Kristen about her; if he told her anything at all.

"Stevie Nicks? Oh, thank god. Lindsey has been so worried about you. He's been trying to get a hold of you for months. I'll get him for you. Are you okay?" The woman on the other end of the line seemed genuinely concerned.

"Yeah....yes. I'm okay. I didn't mean to worry anyone," Stevie said. She really wanted to hate this woman, but she seemed awfully nice.

"Well, I'm glad to hear you're okay. Here's Lindsey," Kristen handed the phone to him and Stevie could hear the sound of his guitar in the background.

"Hello?" He answered.

She was unable to speak for a moment once again. She hadn't heard his voice in so long that she didn't realize how much she missed it. She wanted to cry, but she kept her composure. She cleared her throat, "Hey Lindsey."

He let out a sob when he heard her voice. Stevie hadn't seen or heard him cry in many, many years. She wasn't sure what to do or what to say, "Lindsey? It's okay. I'm okay."

He took a deep breath before he spoke, "I've been looking for you for months."