Chapter 89

Bathed in cold sweat and with a racing heartbeat, I wake up from my dream and flip back the covers. I need a moment to collect myself and run restless hands through my hair. Damn, we're already living in some kind of nightmare in which we participate in games designed to kill us. Why was I under the assumption that we would at least be allowed a peaceful night's sleep?

Although I left the window ajar during the night, an unpleasant film of sweat has formed all over my body and I close my eyes in order to be able to process my dream somewhat calmly. But every second that I remain sitting in the bed with my knees drawn up, I become more and more restless and nervous.

Confused, I look at the alarm clock on my nightstand and realize that noon has not yet arrived. Sighing, I get out of bed to get my hormones going and shake off the thoughts.

I freshen up briefly in the bathroom, brush my teeth thoroughly and comb my hair. For a minute I toy with the idea of jumping in the shower, but quickly decide against it and decide to leave the hotel room.

After a short detour to the breakfast room, I head for the pool area, which seems to be empty at this time of day. In passing, I take one of the folded blankets from the self-built, makeshift lounge of the military squad and make myself comfortable on one of the clean loungers.

Lost in thought, I sip my glass and stare at a random point in my surroundings. It's not that I feel bad or sad about my dream. It's more like a muted feeling is taking up residence in my chest like a tumor, spreading millimeter by millimeter. I haven't consciously noticed this feeling in the games for a long time, strange.

Something moves in my peripheral vision and I react automatically by watching the woman coming towards me. She stops in front of me with her arms crossed and looks down at me with her usual normal expression.

"Drinking so early in the morning, what happened?", Ann asks me and I smirk slightly.

"It's herbal tea," I say truthfully, "The kitchen staff this morning probably wanted to get back to bed early because all the cups had a coffee rim, so I grabbed an unused glass"

"Still, you were lost in thought. I wanted to go to the sauna, are you coming?"

"The hotel has a sauna?", I ask amused, looking at her incredulously, "It's not really my thing"

"The sauna is gender segregated and no one is ever there at this hour. Eventually everyone gets out of here slowly over the next twenty minutes" she explains and I relent.

"Suddenly sounds tempting, I'll join you".

I quickly finish my glass of cold herbal tea and then follow her inside the hotel. Together we walk down the stairs into the spa area and I have to admit, I've never been down here before. Behind the main passageway area is a small whirlpool and I discover the changing rooms behind it. Ann takes two towels from a pile of obviously clean ones and presses one into my hand. Without another word she disappears into one of the cabins and I do the same.

I quickly get rid of my clothes and carefully fold them before my gaze lingers on the small, dusty mirror. Instinctively, I run my hand over the blue-swollen area and try not to flinch under the light pressure. A misshapen, blue-purple spot has formed just above the shark bite wound, which has been stitched shut several times, and looks as if the healing process is slowly beginning. Rolling my eyes, I tie the towel around my body and step outside.

I sit down in the small, wooden room in one of the corners and breathe in the fresh steam. There's something relaxing about it, and for a moment I close my eyes.

"So, why are you up so early today?"

"Nightmare," I reply only briefly bounding to enjoy the quiet and the pleasant warmth, but I can feel her scrutinizing gaze even with my eyes closed, so I concede defeat. "Well I was in my normal life and was faced with the choice of coming to Borderland voluntarily. My dream self thought because I knew the rules and wanted to see everyone again that I could say yes without a care. But when I got back here, things changed."