Chapter 23: Mother

Atsumu followed behind Kuroo as they walked up onto his front porch. Kuroo rummaged in his pockets for his keys which he used to unlock the door once found. Kuroo opened the door and gestured for Atsumu to walk inside before closing it behind them.

"Hey, mom!" Kuroo called, "I'm home!"

Kuroo's mom peeked into the front foyer area from the living room and squealed.

"Atsumu!!" She exclaimed excitedly as she rushed forwards to give the blonde a tight hug.

Atsumu smiled and returned the hug, "Hello, Kuroo-san," he greeted.

Kuroo blinked, "Wow, I'm your son and I don't even get greeted like that," he pointed out with a deadpan expression.

Kuroo's mom rolled her eyes, "Oh, hush, Tetsurou. I see you everyday, and I haven't seen Atsumu since..."

"May," Atsumu finished.

"Yes! That was seven months ago, Tetsu, you can't blame me!" She whined.

Kuroo just rolled his eyes, "Whatever, I'm going to take a shower," he informed, "We're staying at the Hideout tonight."

Kuroo's mom nodded, "Alright, just make sure you have enough blankets! It can get cold in that warehouse!!," She called, and Kuroo just gave her a thumbs up as he moved towards his room.

Kuroo's mom turned back to Atsumu and she beamed at him, "Come now, Atsumu, you guys are going to need snacks, so let's go make someone," she ordered.

Atsumu giggled, "Alright, Kuroo-san."

Ms Kuroo nodded approvingly before she half dragged Atsumu to the kitchen. Once they got to the kitchen, Ms Kuroo pulled out all of the ingredients to make microwaved smores and onigiri before they got to work.

"So, Atsumu, do you have a boyfriend yet?" Ms Kuroo asked, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

Atsumu blush bright red, "No..."

"Mhm? And what about that boy... What was his name...Sakusa?" Ms Kuroo asked curiously.

Atsumu chuckled bitterly, "No, Kuroo-san, an' I doubt that will ever happen..." He added with a sigh.

Ms Kuroo frowned, "Why not? I thought you liked him?"

Atsumu sighed, "I do, it's jus'... I don't think he likes me back..."

Ms Kuroo shook her head, "Impossible, honey," she stated, "Look at you! You're beautiful, and you have such a lovely personality. Not to mention that you're a really good dancer!" She gushed, "He's stupid if he doesn't like you back! Hell, I would want you as my son-in-law if Koutarou hadn't already claimed that position," she added.

Atsumu nearly choked on air, "Mom-" He caught himself, his eyes going wide as he smacked his hands over his mouth, "Sorry!"

Ms Kuroo stared at him with wide eyes, and she looked as if she was going to tear up. She surged forwards and wrapped her arms around him.

"Don't apologize, Atsumu, honey," she said softly, "You can call me that if you'd like."

Atsumu stood there, frozen in place, for a few moments before he returned the hug. He was shaking slightly.

"Yeah, okay," he gulped, "Thanks... Mom."

Atsumu smiled softly, and buried his head in Ms Kuroo's shoulder. She had always been there for him and Osamu, even more so once their mom died.

Ms Kuroo was a single mother. She'd had her only son, Kuroo Tetsurou, when she was sixteen, and the father had wanted nothing to do with either of them. Even so, she raised Kuroo with the help of her parents, and was always looking out for all of his friends as well. Atsumu had met her in his first year of high school when he'd had a sleep over at Kuroo's house with Bokuto and Yaku, and he immediately saw her as one of the sweetest people he knew. When the twins' mom had died, she had become a sort of mother figure for them - she could never replace their biological mother but it was comforting to know that she was there for them. In a way, this kind of made Kuroo the twins' older brother, who, alongside Osamu, was insanely protective over Atsumu.

They stayed like that for a bit before Ms Kuroo pulled back with a smile and they quietly continued their food preparations.

It was roughly half an hour later when Kuroo walked into the kitchen, freshly showered with a backpack on his back.

He was wearing a red hoodie with a black cat decal on the front, and loose black sweatpants. He had on a pair of white, black and red high-top Nike sneakers and a black peak cap.

Ms Kuroo said her goodbyes and handed Kuroo the containers of onigiri and smores, and then Kuroo and Atsumu left to on their way to Atsumu's house.

The skated up onto the porch of the Miya twins' residence and Atsumu quickly unlocked the door and stepped inside, Kuroo following behind him.

"Oh, Tsumu, yer back," Osamu called.

"Mhm," Atsumu hummed, "I'm goin' out again," he informed, "I'm stayin' at Tetsu's."

Osamu furrowed his brows but Kuroo chuckled, "Don't worry, Samu. He'll be safe with us," he assured.

Osamu blinked once, twice, in thought before he nodded, "Alright then."

Kuroo smiled and gestured for Atsumu to go take a shower and grab a few things while he walked over to the armchair and took a seat.

"So, what are you guys watching?" He asked, turning to the television.

"Smile," Osamu answered.

Kuroo hummed, "Pretty good movie."

"We were watching this dance competition earlier, but the livestream ended," Lev explained.

Kuroo raised an eyebrow, "Dance competition?"

Suna sighed, "Don't tell me that you haven't heard of Uprising either," he warned.

Kuroo laughed, "Nah, I've heard of them. There's some incredible dance groups in that club," he commented.

Suna smiled, "Yes! Who's your favorite team?"

Kuroo smirked, "Call me basic but Manic is just the greatest," he declared.

Suna laughed, "If you're basic, then I'm basic too," he replied.

Kuroo laughed loudly before they all fell into a calm silence as they watched the movie. It was about half an hour later when Atsumu came down the stairs again.

He was wearing loose black shorts with black high-top Nike sneakers. He had on a black hoodie, with white sleeves, a white hood and a white panther decal on the back, that was obviously way too big for him with the way it only allowed the tips of his fingers and the hem of his shorts into view. The hood was pulled up over his blonde hair and a pair of headphones hung around his neck.

Sakusa, who had been quietly seething since Atsumu had come in with Kuroo and announced that he was going to stay at his house for the night, swallowed audibly as he recognized the hoodie that Atsumu was wearing – more accurately, as he recognized his very own hoodie that he'd given to Atsumu.

He quickly turned away, though not before his eyes drifted down to see the swirls of ink on the pinkish skin of his thigh peeking out from the hem of his shorts.

Atsumu walked into the kitchen to grab a few more snacks to stuff in his backpack. Then, he walked back into the living room and picked his skateboard up from next to the front door.

"Let's go, Tetsu," he said.

Kuroo looked over and got up, "Coming," he called before he sent a wave to the others in the room.

With that, they left the house and hopped onto their boards.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Wee woo wee woo 🚓

Anygays, bye!!
-CrackshotReaper

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -