13. Resignation

Vegas was confused. Now that he was off the strong painkillers which made his head fuzzy, his general confusion had dissipated, and he was left with just the confusion surrounding the switch. Much like the first time, he had no idea what caused them to switch, and when he thought back to his actions before he fell asleep next to Pete, nothing really happened.

He tried to recount exactly what he did. By the sounds of it, Pete woke up from the nap he put his head down for that day. They must have switched once he slept, then once Vegas was back in his body he was under the effects of the medication, so he didn't wake up the same time as Pete.

Which meant that whatever happened, it happened either just before Vegas went to sleep or at some point during. But what? He had just held Pete's hand and watched him. It was no different to what he had been doing since Pete was admitted to the hospital.

It couldn't have been the closeness, they had been much closer when they cuddled in the safehouse. He also couldn't work out a connection to the original switch, which seemed just as mundane in terms of his actions beforehand.

Maybe it was something to do with Pete, he said he couldn't remember his actions before the original switch since he had been so drunk. However, this time he was in a coma so aside from getting shot, he hadn't really done anything directly beforehand.

Was it getting shot that triggered it? Was it just that the switch was delayed because the medication Pete was being pumped full of was preventing them switching back straight after the shooting.

Vegas shook his head in frustration. It didn't make any sense. He didn't want to dwell on it since they were back to normal now. However not knowing the circumstances for the switch was bothersome. What if this wasn't the end and they ended up switching again because they weren't aware of the trigger?

Vegas didn't think he could handle the constant anxiety of not knowing who he would wake up as.

Vegas was startled out of his thoughts by Macau walking through the door. Vegas tried to peer around him hoping to see Pete following him, but he wasn't there.

"Where's Pete?"

"He said he was going to the main family today" Macau shrugs.

"What?"

"Yeah he told me this morning while you were asleep. Also he left some porridge for you in the flask" he smiles as he motions to the flask that was sat on the table over Vegas' bed.

"I'm leaving to meet some friends now, but make sure you eat it before you go back to sleep" Macau smiles as he walks over to his chair to collect his bag.

Vegas barely noticed Macau leaving, he hadn't really been paying attention to anything he said, aside from the obvious.

Pete had gone back to the main family.

Of course he had. He was back to normal now, free from Vegas' confines. He had satisfied his curiosity by kissing him, then he came to his senses, ready to walk straight back to serve the main family like nothing happened.

How did Pete have this much power? How has he allowed him to take control of his heart and crush it to pieces?

Pete had kissed him like he meant everything, he filled Vegas with emotions he had never experienced while kissing before.

How could he kiss him like that and then turn tail and abandon him? Unknowingly ripping his heart out in the process. Vegas didn't even get a chance to tell him how he felt. If Pete had disappeared it surely meant he didn't feel anything else towards him. He didn't know if this was better or worse than being there in person to see the look of rejection on Pete's face.