Chapter Three

The next day I went to school as usual. When I got to chemistry, I saw Noah sitting in the seat next to mine instead of his usual spot at the back of the classroom.

"What brings you to the front lines of chemistry questions and awkward stares from Mr. Clemons when no one answers?" I joked as I sat down next to him.

He shrugged, "I guess the view's a little better from up here."

Noah and I ended up working on a small lab together and I realized that he was a walking textbook. He knew every chemical, every measurement, and every procedure without even looking at the guide.

"You really know this stuff," I spoke as we finished cleaning the lab station.

"Yeah," he chuckled, "sitting in the back doesn't mean I'm not learning anything."

"And how exactly do you learn if you're sleeping?"

"A good magician never reveals his secrets," Noah teased. We exited the classroom as the bell rang and walked down the hallway. "But Juliet," he began awkwardly, "I was wondering if you wanted to catch a movie tonight? I know I'm practically a stranger but there's this really cool movie about these zombies and my best friend flaked-"

"Sure," I interjected. What harm could a movie be?

He stopped walking and grinned from ear to ear. "Really?"

I nodded, "I'll meet you after homecoming committee?"

"Yeah." Noah smiled softly, "I'll catch you later." He waved goodbye before turning and walking away in the other direction.

"What was that?" a voice behind me questioned.

I sighed and turned around, brushing past my warden without even making eye contact. "It's none of your business Leonardo." I didn't have time for the lecture I knew he was about to give.

"If it involves you it is my business," He responded. "What were you doing with that boy?"

"That boy has a name. It's Noah. And we were just talking."

"Talking?"

"Don't you have class?"

"Juliet."

I turned a corner and went straight into the girl's bathroom, knowing he wouldn't follow. He was so overbearing. If he was mad now, I couldn't imagine what he was going to do when he found out I was going out with Noah tonight. 

Noah was a nice person and that's why I said yes, but I knew part of me as trying to get at Leonardo. I couldn't resist the opportunity to make his blood boil. Maybe it could help me get some answers out of him.

I exited the school after homecoming committee and saw Leonardo waiting with Tyler. I guess archery club ended early.

"Juliet," he called as I walked past him, "where are you going?"

"To a movie," I responded without stopping.

Noah exited the building and Leonardo glared at him before looking back to me. He put two and two together and stalked over before grabbing my arm roughly. I shoved him to try and make him let go, but he didn't budge.

"You're not going anywhere with him," Leonardo spoke sternly as his grip tightened, "I've let you have your fun but it's starting to aggravate me."

I continued to struggle, "You're hurting me Leo."

"Is there something wrong," a voice spoke. I look and saw Noah approaching us with a concerned look on his face. He took a step towards me protectively, only pissing Leonardo off further.