Chapter Eight

The next morning, I rolled out of bed and started my usual routine before heading downstairs. My pocket buzzed as I was eating. It was a text from Leonardo saying that he was outside.

I saw his car parked in the driveway. He was propped up against the passenger door with his arms crossed over his chest. He tried to hug me but I placed my hand up to stop him, "don't."

He opened the door for me, "it was worth a shot." Leonardo got in the car and we were soon heading to the school.

"So how are you?" he asked, trying to make conversation.

"Fine."

"Are we going to talk about yesterday?" He asked.

"No," I spoke, keeping my mind clear so he couldn't pry into my thoughts.

He sighed and tightened his grip on the steering wheel, but didn't say anything else. Maybe my dad actually told him to give me my space...or he was preoccupied with something else. Whatever it was, it bothered me.

"I don't want to assume things Juliet, but I was told you and two others were the last ones to visit the archives before the break-in."

"My mom said I was able to see my files but the woman at the desk told me I couldn't," I replied, "so we left."

"Is that really the only reason you were there?"

"What other reason would I have?"

Leonardo didn't respond and I smirked. If he had confronted me that would have meant he knew I was looking for information on Elliot. He was smart enough to know that was a can of worms he did not want to open.

We arrived at school and went our separate ways.

"Hey Juliet!" Noah spoke as he walked over to me, snapping me out of my thoughts.

I smiled, "Hey yourself."

"Looks like you scared off Mr. Dark and Brooding," he joked as we walked down the hallway together.

"Yeah," I mumbled, "I guess so."

The rest of the week was extremely uneventful. Leonardo took me to school, I went to class, Leonardo took me home. I hung out with Noah more often and I could tell it pissed Leonardo off, but he didn't say a word.

I begged my dad to still let me go to homecoming. It took a speech from my mom about how this was senior year, but he reluctantly agreed. He was also let Alyssa and I go to the mall together so that we could pick out dresses.

After our party adventures, Alyssa's parents took her car. Since Carter was now her ride, we dragged him to the mall as well.

"Oh my god," Carter groaned as we browsed the racks. "how long does it take to pick out a dress? What was wrong with the last one?"

"It was too green," Alyssa replied simply

"And the one before that?"

"Not green enough."

As they bickered back and forth, I continued to search for something that would cover the healing claw marks on my back. They still hurt, but it was a dull pain at this point. My eyes landed on the perfect dress and I went to try it on.

When I emerged from the dressing room, both Carter and Alyssa's jaws dropped.

"Whoa," Carter breathed, "who are you trying to impress Juliet?"

"Leonardo is not going to be happy with you going out looking that...hot," Alyssa added.

"I can keep looking-"