3. Uncles Coming From Nowhere

Jax looked over the man that looked too much like his dad that morning over pancakes that his sister happily dug into after a glance at the man with a sniff and a 'G'morning Mr. Cat.' Now thirteen and eying the man warily.

"If you're claiming that my mom is your mate, you're mistaken." He suddenly said right at the man was taking a sip of coffee.

That caused the cat to cough and sputter before sending a look at the boy.

"I know kid. Believe me I do. I'm your Uncle Isaac. The result of your grandpa's family ruining mistakes." The lion shifter rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand looking anywhere but the teen scrutinizing him.

"I think he'd make Mommy happy. Better than Mr. Ezra can." The little girl looked up from her stack of pancakes with a grin. "Besides, we have enough Uncles, it's time we get a Daddy. Then we can have baby siblings!"

"Amalie, we're good in the sibling department." Jax huff stuffing bacon in the girl’s mouth.

"But, I don't get to see Denis as often as you do." She wined after swallowing the bacon.

"Don't say his name." Jax growled. "Mom will hear and she'll be sad."

"He's lucky, he got to meet his siblings before he grows up. I didn’t and now I'm having a very awkward breakfast with my niece and nephew." Isaac sighed, muttering that last bit into his coffee.

"I want Denis to come to my birthday party." Amalie smiled and nodded like she's decided and went back to happily eating her breakfast and ignoring the rest of the world.

"He can come, but his mom can't, okay?" The tired voice of their mother hummed as she shuffled to the coffee pot sending everyone in the room silent while she pours herself a cup.

"But Mom-" Jax started but a hard look from his mother shut him up.

"Ajax, are you guilty of breaking something that I broke?" Her tone wasn't one that would take this kid's shit and he knew it.

"No, I'm not." Jax huffed with a pout.

"Then Denis isn't guilty of the things his mother did and continues to do, that's all her. Given what I know of his mother, he would probably appreciate the break from her." She muttered the last bit over her coffee before taking a sip. "Since you will see him in school, Jax, let him know he's welcome to come."

"Do I have to? The teachers might get the wrong idea since everyone seems to know." The boy poked his pancakes as he waited his mother’s answer.

"Then just tell the truth, your mother has become unhinged and wants to invite him over to let him know that I don't blame him for anything."

"That's suspicious." Jax groaned.

"Well, you could tell them that an unexpected Uncle wants to meet him." Isaac said after swallowing the food that he had been busying himself with.

A few minutes later Jax and Amalie were trudging to where the bus would pick them up leaving behind the ranch and the awkward air between their mother and their new uncle.

"I think Uncle Isaac is gonna be with mommy." Amalie said her big brown eyes that mirrored their mother's piercing the side if Jax's face.

"Why do you say that?" Jax was already exhausted by this topic and wanted nothing more than to go punch trees in the woods to work out his frustrations.

"Because, Mommy had been so lonely without help with us. Yes, we have our Uncles and Aunty, but other than that Mommy is all alone."

"You're too observant." He nudged her slightly.

"So? Someone has to be the smart sibling." The girl scoffed.

The bus arrived before their bickering fight could continue too far. Neither of them noticed the thinning bear watching them protectively from the woods they were waiting by.

Jax was dropped off at the Junior High with a handful of students before the yellow death trap continued on to the elementary school. He was dreading finding Denis with every fiber of his being when he noticed the very kid he didn't want to be looking for trying to make himself smaller as he walked through the hallway towards his locker. The distinct thought that something was wrong crossed his mind as he watched the other boy shuffle carefully around like he was favoring something that was hurt.

"Hey, Denny." Jax called out coming to the other boy's side just as the kid reached his locker.

"Whatever I did, I'm sorry, can you call off your dogs?" Denis hissed like he was trying to hide that he was hurting.

"What dogs? Despite what you may be told I'd rather not be the reason for your suffering." Jax took the bag the kid seemed to be struggling with and carried it for him.

"Why?" Jax didn't blame Denis for the suspicious look in the cougar shifter's eyes.

"Because, it would make my sister’s birthday very awkward for the both of us." Jax explained simply.

"Like that would happen." Denis huffed before a soft hiss left him as he winced.

"It would and it will. You can ride the bus to the ranch and get to meet everyone, including an uncle you have quite the bit in common with. Just tell your mom your needing to stay for a project or something like that." Jax sighed exasperatedly.

"Why should I believe you?" Denis said, his voice soft and guarded.

"Because. Your other options don't appear to be ideal. It takes a lot for a shifter to still be hurting like you are, and if things work out one of the Uncles might convince mom to pull you out of whatever situation you're in if she doesn't do it the moment she sees you."

"Why are you giving me hope?"

"Because, you look like you need some." Jax handed over Denis's bag when they reached his class. "Friday. If things go well we might stay up late and play video games until Amalie makes Oddie and Iggy play Monopoly with us."

"Okay, I'll see if I can figure something out so I can go." Denis mumbled his black hair covering his green eyes as he turned from his half brother.

"Mr. Ross! What were you doing to Mr. Wilder!" The screeching voice of the principal made the teen wilt.

"I was inviting him to family dinner. My mother and sister insisted. If I wanted to hurt him I wouldn't do it here and finally Mr. Sikes why do you assume I'd try to hurt him in the first place?" Jax listed off tiredly wanting this dreary Tuesday to be over with.