A Child's Nightmare

As the first piece in this anthology, I will write down a dream that I had when I was between 4-8 years old. Most dreams and nightmares fade away with time, but this one is just as vivid now as it was then. These stories will be summaries of events that span over several hours, even the entire night. These are not embellished for changed for dramatic effect, only a writing down of the facts of the dream.

    TW: Violence, disturbing scenes, minor in peril

    Daddy is driving past the hilled cemetery in the green summer. A massive tombstone falls from the hill and nearly hits the Expedition. He pulls over to investigate. It flew past us and into a dark clearing. I clamber out of the back seat to follow, skidding down the hill like Indiana Jones. I can't see his face as he stands with his thumbs in his jeans pocket.
    There is a little cottage on the edge of the clearing.
    The dead rise. A skeleton hand breaks through the soil and grabs onto my ankle. I struggle to get away and fall.
    Daddy is gone.
    The scene changes. I am Little Riding Hood from my favorite GameCube game. Shrek 2. Everywhere is covered in headstones, the undead surrounding me no match for my friends and I that are all played by me. A rug monster attacks me, but I hit him with a basket of apples.
    They're gone. Only the cottage is here. I approach and enter. Rotting, green walls seem ready to close in on me. I walk further, and then at my side is a man with black hair and a black hoodie. I don't know his name. He is a stranger, but we are here to see The Witch.
    For he is a prince, and I am not a princess. But we want to get married.
    The witch will make me a princess, but for her we must do something. We must find something in the little cottage. So we leave and travel the endless halls. Then we meet a head without a body. His face is gaunt, his hair greasy, and his expression haunted.
    "Help me!" he screams.
    Someone rounds the corner. His brother. He thinks we've killed his brother. He attacks my Prince.

    And it's over. I wake up in my bed. A crib with one side removed. It's dark. I go back to sleep.
    The dream repeats.
    I wake up.
    I stay awake until daddy comes to wake me up.