Chapter ten

Phoebe finished tying off the last guy line on Rue's family's canvas tent and stood back to admire her handiwork. For a temporary structure, the tent was surprisingly roomy and looked as secure as any house in Ardent. The clearing had transformed into a small village of tents just like this one, and the place buzzed with excitement and activity as the astromantic druids finished settling in. They brought a type of energy that wasn't typically seen in the commune — friendly, boisterous conversations shouted instead of murmured quietly so as not to disturb anyone's peaceful prayer. It wasn't that the druids were rowdy or disrespectful, they were simply happy: happy to be there, happy to see old friends, happy to be alive. For a people with such distinguished lineage, they didn't seem to take themselves as seriously as the inhabitants of Ardent, which was one of the many things Phoebe admired about them.

As Phoebe gazed around at the bustling encampment, Castid and the elder sidled up next to her.

"Thanks for your help," Castid said with a travel-weary smile. He held his father upright with a hand at his elbow and led him toward the tent, one careful foot in front of the other. Phoebe pulled the entry flaps open and stood aside so the pair could pass. She couldn't help but notice how laborious the elder's breathing sounded as he shuffled by. His gaze was long and unfixed, like he was looking at something no one else could see. Uncomfortable in the face of the old man's mortality, Phoebe forced herself to look away and find Rue instead. Their eyes met and Rue nodded.

"Hey, Dad?" Rue called after her father. "Do you need any more help here? Pheebs and I have some catching up to do."

"I think we're set for now," her father replied, poking his head out of the tent. "Just be back by sundown."

Phoebe draped her arm around Rue's shoulder as best she could given that she was a handful of inches shorter than her. "Don't worry, sir — I won't let her miss the festivities."

Castid chuckled and gave her a wink. "I know she's in good hands with you, Phoebe. And Rue, if you see your mother, warn her that Grandad is sleeping so she doesn't come barging in like she usually does."

"Sure thing, Dad!" Rue wheeled Phoebe around and hurried them out of the encampment. Once they were out of earshot, she poked a finger into Phoebe's ribs. "I can't believe you still call him 'sir'. You're such a little kiss-ass!"

"Hey!" Phoebe squawked, trying to squirm away from the assault. "It's not my fault I was raised right!"

"Pfft! That's hilarious coming from a delinquent heathen like you."

"You have to know the rules before you can break them, Rue."

Rue laughed, loud and bright. "I don't think that's how it works."

They made their way into the woods. Phoebe led the way, taking a long and roundabout way back to her house just in case anyone was watching. As their path veered, she scanned the trees, ever vigilant. She may be a delinquent, but that didn't mean she wanted to spend another night in the fields.

"So, are you going to tell me what all this secrecy is about?" Rue asked. "I know your dad doesn't like it when you spend time with Connor, but this feels even more cloak and dagger than usual."

Phoebe blew out a breath between her lips. She wasn't looking forward to telling Rue about her cousin's condition. "Connor and I got into trouble a few days ago, and let's just say that his punishment was a bit more severe than mine."

"What do you—"

"—Okay, 'a bit more severe' is an understatement," Phoebe prattled nervously over Rue's question. She twisted her fingers as she talked, looking everywhere but at her friend.