Chapter twenty-four

Even though it had been a decade since he last saw his family, Connor remembered a lot about where he came from. He remembered the name of the city where he lived and the place he went to school. He remembered the street, the building, and even the apartment number where he'd grown up with his parents and older sister. Over their days of travel — first through the forest and then through the rambling countryside — Connor talked about his first home in detail so vividly that Audrey felt like she had been there too.

"You have a crazy good memory," she said one evening as the pair of them sat watching the sunset from the edge of a farmer's field. "I barely remember what I had for breakfast most days, let alone what I was doing when I was seven." They could see their destination waiting for them in the distance — just a hazy silhouette of a city skyline on the horizon — but they decided to wait until morning before dropping in unannounced on Connor's unsuspecting family.

Connor brushed some golden locks from his face and smiled. "I just like thinking about happier times. I learned pretty fast that fixating on all the bad stuff wasn't going to make life any easier."

"I'm sorry." Audrey shrank into herself, made uncomfortable by her own lack of tact. "I didn't think of it that way."

"Don't worry about it," Connor replied. He dismissed her apology with a indifferent wave of his hand. "It is what it is."

For some reason, this triggered a wave of frustration in Audrey that rippled outward from her heart like a stone dropped in water. She wasn't frustrated with Connor, but rather with what he had been reduced to.

"Why do you do that?" she asked, peering at him through blades of long grass that swayed between them. He glanced at her, eyebrows quirked with confusion.

"Do what?

"Act like what happened to you was no big deal?"

Connor took a moment to consider the question. He was so measured and patient (when he wasn't running for his life, that is); a tranquil stream compared to the wild rapids of Audrey's unpredictable temper. As he lifted his face to the twilit sky, Audrey watched him and wondered if she could ever learn to be like him.

"It's not like I don't know it was bad," he said. "I guess I just never saw the point in being angry about it. Up until now I figured I was just lucky to be alive."

Audrey wasn't sure how to argue with that logic, so she didn't. Instead she gave him a friendly nudge with her shoulder. "Well, you're definitely a better person than I am."

Connor's expression fell. "I don't know about that..." He folded his legs and wrapped his arms around them, resting his chin on his knees. In the blink of an eye he had transformed from peaceful and content to someone weighed down with shame. After a moment's hesitation, Audrey laid her hand on his shoulder and gave him a squeeze.

"You know none of it was your fault, right?" she asked quietly.

He huffed a humorless laugh. "That's what Phoebe always says too."

"Well, she's right. And what about Rue? Do you really think someone like her would fall in love with you if you were a bad person?"

"Someone like her?" A hint of a smile twitched at the corner of Connor's mouth. "You've literally never even spoken to her."

"Are you accusing your girlfriend of being a bad judge of character?"

"Shut up," Connor laughed. He gave her a playful shove, but even though Audrey could tell he was holding back, it still knocked her over. "Oh, shit!" he cried. "I'm sorry!"

Audrey sat back up with a wince. "It's fine — I'm sure I'll get used to your godlike strength eventually."

Their conversation was interrupted by the sound of rustling. They turned their faces in unison just as Emandi emerged from the tall grass. Their traveling cloak was wrapped tightly around their long feline body as they strode over to meet them.