12 - Locker Room Lessons

"I'm just glad to be able to call you my boyfriend again."

Amelia whispers into Grayson's neck. All I can see is the back of her head, and it moves up and down as she kisses his collarbone. My stomach flops like a fish out of water and with the dryness of my lips, I feel like one too.

Again, she had said... and the memories creep back.

Amelia and Grayson were once an item, a dynamic duo, that one popular couple that everyone envies. After the break up, no one dared to talk about it because angering Grayson is bad news, but angering Amelia? That's a death sentence.

The tiny square mirror is giving me full view of something that's supposed to be private, and I can't shake away my pounding heartbeat.

I shouldn't be here, shouldn't be eavesdropping on something that was never meant for me to see. But I'm like a deer caught in headlights... absolutely frozen.

As Amelia's head deepens into his neck, Grayson's face comes into view. His eyes aren't closed like you'd expect them to be. Instead, they're lowered as they watch the ground, his arms wrapped loosely around her body. My heart skips a beat as his gaze drags across the tiled floor and up the lockers, somehow finding it's way to my reflection in the mirror.

His expression never waivers as he sees me.

Such low, emotionless eyes looking back at me, despite a girl who fiercely loves him sitting in his lap.

His eyes hold mine, and as the seconds pass, my face warms. How can he look at me so casually when a girl like Amelia is giving him all her love?

Under the heat of his gaze, and through pounding heartbeats of embarrassment and shame, I no longer feel frozen.

I'm just about to turn and sneak back the way I came when Grayson's voice fills the room.

"Let's head back to your place."

There's a moment of silence when I can only assume Amelia to be smiling. "I thought you'd never ask."

Grayson stands up, and the tiny square mirror reveals his bare chest with Amelia's hand on it. His jersey is draped over his shoulder as he reaches for something out of view.

I hear a jingle as he tosses her his keys. "I'll meet you in the car."

My eyes widen and I stick against the lockers like glue.

She'll have to pass me in order to get to the exit.

As quietly as possible, I shuffle backwards before rounding a corner. There's a small spot between two lockers that I find myself fitting into snuggly.

Amelia's footsteps echo past me and I sigh as the door to the outside opens and closes, the brief sound of rain coming and going.

In my moment of relief, I almost forget about Grayson.

It's when he finds me in my crevice that I go red in the face all over again. He's in front of me before I can even think of moving, his intimidating presence boxing me in between the two metal lockers. He steps forward and his intentions are clear: I'm not going anywhere.

There's no where to look but up at him.

His glare is full of disapproval.

"You shouldn't be in here."

Out of everything he could've said... he decides to lecture me?

"And Amelia should be?" I scoff.

"That's none of your business." His eyes lower with an emotion slightly south of annoyance and for once, it's actually clear that he is bothered.