02: Initiation

When the final bell of the day rings throughout the halls, I'm already closing my locker to leave. Today's the day that I'm moving into Violet's house. I'll miss my mom more than anything while she's away on her work trip, but nonetheless, I'm super excited. We both left class early in order to start moving my stuff in as quick as possible. 

I throw my bag over my shoulder, making my way outside. It's a weekly routine of ours to meet up by the football field, mainly because of Grayson. He's usually there after school, tossing a ball and practicing with his teammates and friends.

As a bonding experience, their parents make them share a car. As a miracle, despite their hate for each other, they've managed to create a system of who gets the car when. Today was Grayson's turn, but Violet was planning to ask if we could borrow it today instead.

In order to take some stress off our parents, we want to move my belongings on our own.

As I weave in and out of other students, I cut through the grass. I'm already half way to the football field when I see Violet. She's sitting on a bench, scanning the area for me. It gives me a chuckle because she's looking everywhere besides where I am.

When I make it to the bench, she hops up. "Finally!"

I place my bag on the bench next to hers, "so, why exactly did you have to wait for me?"

Violet doesn't even take a moment to think. "Because! You know how difficult Grayson can be. I need backup."

I unzip my bag, pulling out a half-eaten granola bar. I shove it in my mouth, "backup?"

"Yeah, you know... like, in case he says no." Violet mumbles.

"He hates me as much as he does you," I laugh. 

A weird knot curdles in my stomach. For the past three weeks, the secret memory that Grayson and I share has constantly tried to resurface. Although, I'm getting better at shoving it to the back of my mind. I keep trying to convince myself of his words, that because we can't remember it, that it should be as if it just never happened.

"I know, but if we're both there, maybe he'll feel more intimidated." Violet sounds confident in her plan. I get increasingly nervous as it dawns on me that I'm going to have to face Grayson for the first time since waking in his bed.

Violet stares at me as I aimlessly chew my granola. I blink at her, and then all of the sudden she's bent over in a fit of laughter. Seeing her laugh ignites a bubble in my throat, and chunks of my granola go flying as I laugh too.

"You owe me another bar," I crackle as half if it is spewed across the bench from my laughter.

"Half of it was already gone!" She rubs her eyes as her laughter dies down.

"So?" I tease.

After composing ourselves, Violet takes the lead towards the field. I follow directly behind her, almost hoping that her silhouette hides me. How was Grayson going to react to seeing me? Every time I've been over to Violet's since the event, I've been making sure to avoid running into him at all costs. And now... now I was going to him. 

My heart begins to accelerate with every step I take.

As we near the group of boys, their vague outlines become more detailed. It's a group of four. I know most of them from classes we share. Occasionally, I'll see one or two of them around Violet's house, as they come over to hang with Grayson.

Apart of me considers turning around. I could pretend like I forgot something at the bench. Then, I wouldn't have to confront Grayson. As I'm daydreaming about my hopeless escape, Violet stops in her tracks, causing me to lightly crash into her back.