Headlines and Bloodlines

Maddie Krankshaw put too many Knarl quills in her Laughing Potion. Just breathing the fumes had caused her to laugh so hard she could barely catch her breath. After giving her some Calming Draught, Raven had her stay after class for fifteen minutes to make sure she was okay.

When Raven finally entered the Great Hall for lunch, Professor McGonagall was making an announcement. Every graduate of Hogwarts would be invited to the annual Halloween feast at the end of October. It was to celebrate the restoration of the castle and a new beginning. The students began talking excitedly. As Raven took her seat at the staff table, Charlie looked at her with concern. "What's wrong?" Raven said. In reply, he handed her a copy of the Daily Prophet that had just been delivered. There were two stories on the front page. The first read, "Cursed Music Box Stolen from Aurors." But it was the headline at the bottom that caught her eye, "New Potions Master May Be as Black as Her Name." Raven looked at Charlie in astonishment, then continued reading.

Corvus Black, who goes by the name 'Raven,' was recently given the coveted position of Potions Master at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Many in the magical community wonder, Who is she, and how did she get it?

Shocking though it may be, Black is the child of Severus Snape and Narcissa Malfoy (née Black). The astonishing secret of her birth and parentage was kept secret from the magical community until recently, writes Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent. It is unknown whether Black is a product of a romantic encounter or something far more sinister as Snape was known to be ruthless.

A former teacher at Hogwarts, Snape was made Headmaster by You-Know-Who in September of 1997 only three months after he murdered the previous Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore. Supposedly, it was to save Dumbledore from a more painful death but it has never been clear if Snape was truly loyal to Dumbledore. What everyone does agree on is that he was fascinated by the Dark Arts.

Black moved to Great Britain just a few months ago and is not familiar with our culture. She grew up in France and attended Beauxbatons Academy of Magic. It is rumored the large Headmistress at Beauxbatons, Olympe Maxime, is half giant. Details about classes there are unclear but it is well known giants believe aggressive tactics earn respect.

Some in the magical community speculate that Black, at barely 21 years of age, may have attained her position because of the Malfoy's influence with the school board. Perhaps the Headmistress was pressured to hire her. Considering Minerva McGonagall's age and previous injuries, one must wonder if her mind and stamina are still up to the challenge of her position.

A witch employed at Hogwarts who does not want to give her name for fear of reprisal says, "Raven has had several catastrophes during her classes that could have caused serious injuries." She went on to say, "I believe Dottie Spencer, great-granddaughter of the famous potioneer Sacharissa Tugwood, is much more qualified. Unfortunately, her application was ignored."

Black recently attended the engagement party of her half-brother, Draco Malfoy, who is engaged to Astoria Greengrass. This reporter overheard a distressing conversation between Black and her mother. Narcissa Malfoy, desperate to have a relationship with her daughter, has bought her numerous presents, including a stunning one-of-a-kind necklace Black wore to the party. But when her mother commented on it, Black made it clear it was only worn because it went with her outfit. Malfoy then asked if Black would visit but she was noncommittal. Narcissa was obviously heartbroken.

After talking to a Gringotts goblin, a reporter from the Daily Prophet discovered Malfoy sent large sums of money for Black's care while she was growing up, along with numerous presents. To be rejected so coldly by a daughter who has been so tenderly regarded is difficult to witness. While Malfoy's generosity with her daughter has been lavish, Snape spared not one Knut for his only child.