30. Preparations

"Blue..." Samayra said pointing to the light blue jumpsuit, her bestie had paired with a rose gold belt. The raised wingtip collar and absence of sleeves, made Daman look at herself again.

She used to wear it under a beige blazer for professional outings.

"Without the blazer." Samayra added as Tejas was running around the flat with Pluto, who had grown up in 8 months, to be a castrated, caring, affectionate dog.

"It's sleeveless." Daman pointed out.

"Didn't you get waxed?" She asked as Daman shrugged.

"I'm not getting laid. I'm on my regular celibacy hygiene. Waxing after every two months" She said as Samayra thought for a minute.

"You can shave your underarms?" She says as Daman nods for a minute.

"We can do that. But body hair is natural, and I feel fine, it's not much." Daman says with a shrug.

"He's a 30 year old man, not a teenager. I don't think he cares about body hair, until it's all hygienic." Samayra says lying on her back.

"How was the ultrasound?" She asks as Samayra nods.

"Everything's fine. It's healthy and I might start showing soon." She says as Daman shakes her head.

"Then why are you so confused?" She asks as Samayra gets up, to hold her hand.

"You... Ummm... Like Ekansh will tell you somethings... That I already know about... And telling it to you, is not my place. But Just... Know that I love you. I didn't hide it because of any ill intention. I just hid it, to keep you... emotionally safe..." Samayra says as Daman nods.

"Safe or Sane?" She asks as Samayra shakes her head.

"You're not Sane, if that's what you are worried about... That was established, years ago." Samayra answers and hugs Daman laughing.

The next hour was spent in a shower, curling of hair and some make up when Ishleen called.

"Raunak is throwing a tantrum. She wants Pluto and her father is gonna cry, if she cries and I'm too pissed to not kill him, if he does." She said as Samayra had put the phone on speaker while doing Daman's eyeshadow.

"I'll get Tejas home, then. He loves Pluto and Raunak." Samayra says looking at Daman as she nods.

After they cut the call, Daman expressed her concern.

Samayra was somewhat used to babysitting Tejas, at her house and he was loved by everyone. Including her husband, Ambar, Ishleen's husband Rehaan, their mother and father-in-law.

"You're pregnant, Samayra. Running after him in a 2 BHK and running in a two-storey house are different things." She said as Samayra shook her head.

"Rehaan will take both the kids and the dog, if he's already home. Don't worry, about me." she said, but Daman insisted to meet the family and drop Tejas off, so he feels less abandoned, or so she thought.

"Tej uncle... Tej is here..." Tejas screamed entering the house, calling Samayra's father-in-law who had the name 'Tej Deol', sharing the prefix with the toddler.

They hugged him tightly as Rehaan came down the stairs with Raunak in his arms.

"Putttooo..." The 8 month old girl screamed as she then noticed Tejas.

"Veeerr ji..." She said looking at Tejas who was as elated to be with her.

(Veer ji is brother in punjabi.)

As Daman sat with Samayra's mother-in-law over tea, she saw the two kids and the dog playing in the lawn.

"I'll be back in 2 hours. He usually goes to bed at 8:30. So, I'll be here at around 8." Daman said parting, as Ishleen looked at her dress and winked.

"Take your time. He's safe here." She said as Daman nodded and whispered in her ear.

"You sounded iritated on the phone call, when did you last have your periods?" She asked as Ishleen thought for a minute and shook her head.

"I got on birth control. It's messing up my head." She said as Daman nodded.

"Talk to Rehaan about other protection methods, and get off it. You don't need anything, that messes you up like that. You're kid needs the same nice Ishleen, as we have known." Daman says as Ishleen nods.

"I will. Thank you." She said as they hugged and waved goodbyes.

+++++++++++++++++++++ 

I took a turn as the GPS guided me through a posh neighborhood until I parked outside a big iron gate with a long driveway filled with Sheesham, Cassia, Ashoka, Guava, Mango and Gulmohar trees planted in a tasteful alternating way. She called Ekansh as he picked on the third ring.

"You're late." He said and before she could say that he gave her the wrong address, the gates opened. "Come in, I can't walk that far again, I waited for 10 minutes."

She turned into the driveway, passing trees, well-trimmed grasses, a badminton and basketball court, until she caught sight of a huge pool, in front of a building that looked contructed by the british, when they ruled India.

The white marbles, over the mixed English and Rajput Architecture with tasteful balconies and a big door, etched with floral designs.

He walked out in a high neck light-blue sweater, with a black blazer and black denims. His leather shoes had laces, matching the strap of his Fossil watch.

He wasn't formal, and he wasn't casual, his look graceful and yet collected. She hated how they had picked the same color. The same coincident that used to happen when they lived together and picked out clothes for the day.

She remembered how on one particular rainy day, they both stood in a black full sleeves tshirt and blue jeans, ready to go out for tea and samosa.

Then they had argued for 5 minutes, about who should change, since they looked like a cute cringe couple that wore matching outfits.

"Hi..." He said sitting in the car as he handed her a huge bouquet, that had somehow skipped her attention, as she observed his outfit.

"Oh... Hey..." She said taking the bouquet of sunflower, daisies and  pure white lilies.

"There's a tulip." She said, happy like a little child noticing the light pink bud like flower hidden among the white lilies.

"I'm sure we never discussed flowers. The first time you ever got me those, was a few days ago." She said a bit confused.

"You like tulips?" He says amused.

"I love them. But fresh ones are rare." She says, sniffing the lilies and then keeping them on the back seat.

"They signify Royalty, you know?" He says with a one sided smile.

"And Hope." She said, putting the car in drive, pulling out of the iron gate.