The Invitation- Chapter 39

The Invitation

"Oh king, after hatching the conspiracy with his nephew, Shakuni made his way to King Dhritarashtra", Vaishampayana continued his narration of the Mahabharata to King Janamejaya.

"Oh king,", Shakuni politely addressed Dhritarashtra as he entered the chamber.

"Welcome Shakuni. Is there any problem?", Dhritarashtra said.

"Oh king, I'm afraid there is a problem", Shakuni replied. "Duryodhana has not been feeling well. He has become weak and pale and won't open up to anyone, not even me", he said.

"As his father, I think it would be best appropriate if you talk to him and ensure he is keeping healthy", Shakuni said.

"Shakuni, you are right. I too have been noticing that Duryodhana has not been the same since he returned from Indraprastha. I never got the opportunity to sit and talk to him and you have made me realize what a fool I was to neglect my own son. I shall definitely speak to him", Dhritarashtra said anxiously.

Dhritarashtra and Shakuni immediately made his way to Duryodhana's chamber.

"Oh son, I just spoke to your uncle. Tell me what troubles you son! You have not been behaving normally since your return from Indraprastha. Pray tell me what runs in your mind?", Dhritarashtra said.

"Oh father, indeed I am depressed", Duryodhana said. "My appetite fails me, I am not able to concentrate on anything. All that meets my eye only invokes negative emotions within me. The reason yet again are the Pandavas", he said.

"After witnessing all of the amazing wealth of Yudhishthira, I am unable to eat, sleep or even breathe peacefully. I saw such brilliant and rare gems, gold, clothes, horses, sandalwood and many other things brought to them as tribute from many many kings who rule distant lands. Chedi, Kashmir, the Sindhu, Souveera, Avanti, Kerala, Pandya, Chola, Kalinga, Videha, Vanga, Pragjyotisha, you name it they were present to bow down to Yudhishthira. It is as if the whole earth has accepted Yudhishthira as its emperor!", Duryodhana said in jealousy shocking Dhritarashtra.

"Oh king, I am in dire need of your help. Only with your help will I be able to get onto the path of recovery", Duryodhana said.

"What do you need Duryodhana?", Dhritarashtra asked.

"Uncle Shakuni is extremely skilled and clever too. He can easily annex Yudhishthira's immense wealth by playing the dice game with him", Duryodhana said.

"You have to invite Yudhishthira to play the game of dice with uncle", Duryodhana said.

Dhritarashtra took a few moments to think. He knew that his son's intentions were not good but he too slightly felt insecure that Pandu's sons were wealthier and ruled the entire world. Moreover, he was most concerned about Duryodhana's health and well being.

"Oh son, I need to first consult with the wise Vidura before I make any decision", Dhritarashtra finally said.

Duryodhana clenched his fists in anger. "Why do you always do this father? You are the king and therefore have all the authority to make decisions! Vidura, being a well wisher of the Pandavas, will never approve of this proposal! And if this does not happen, I will surely die", Duryodhana emotionally blackmailed his father.

Dhritarashtra immediately stood up. "Don't utter such words my son. I know that you are in a vulnerable position now. However, Vidura is an excellent mediator and has always been unbiased. I always seek his advice and he has never failed me. I will immediately speak to him and come up with a solution. I suggest you relax and not think about this for a while", Dhritarashtra said and left Duryodhana's chamber.