Repeat

⋆ ☆ ⋆

Lily thought that after listening in to her first family meeting, she would be allowed to participate in more of the families secret activities.

She thought wrong.

"Why can't I go to the fair with you?" Lily whined.

Tommy sighed, clearly fed up of their ongoing argument. "Because this isn't a matter that concerns you, Lily."

"Why not? I'm just as much of a Shelby as any of you three!"

"Look, I know you're eager to get in on the action, but it isn't safe. Maybe when you're eighteen."

Lily rolled her eyes. "What difference is three years going to make? Besides, there's nothing to do around here when you guys are gone."

Polly, who had been smoking a cigarette on an armchair in the corner, piped up. "You could always spend time with me you know. You don't do that much these days."

"See, you can spend the day with your aunt." Tommy headed for the door, clearly grateful for the escape.

"Fine." She said through gritted teeth. Why couldn't Tommy let her tag along just this once?

"Good. I'll see you two later then." Tommy grasped the door handle and stepped out of the house, harshly shutting the door behind him.

Lily and Polly sat in awkward silence for a brief moment.

"So," Lily began. "What are we going to do?"

———————————————————————————

Lily found herself stood beside her aunt in the local church.

"...What are we doing here exactly?" Lily questioned.

Polly turned to face the girl with a blank expression. "We're lighting candles for the boys at the Garrison who lost their lives in France."

"..Huh..that's sweet. Oh, Pol, I was wondering-"

Before she could finish, Lily was cut off by the sound of the front doors slamming shut, followed by footsteps heading their direction. The girl whipped her head round to see an older gentleman smoking a pipe.

Lily had never seen the man before, but judging by Polly's look, he wasn't someone she wanted to get to know.

"A gentleman would take off his hat and put out his pipe." Polly finally said.

The man put his pipe out on a pew, but left his hat on. He made his way over to the pair to stand beside them. Lily dares to speak.

Polly didn't make eye contact with the man. "I see you specials only dare come here when you know the boys are away at the fair."

"You mean your nephews? With their guns and their razors?"

"Don't pretend that's all you think of them. You still aren't man enough to face me when they're around."

The man stared at Polly, and began to walk further into the church.

"Is it the Holy Grail you're looking for?" She asked.