.10 [part I]

The inside of the lodge is busy, but not particularly loud

The inside of the lodge is busy, but not particularly loud. Most of the groups of random strangers are spread out across the various tables that decorate the large cabin-like area, and everyone is engrossed in their own intimate conversations.

Charles wishes he was one of those groups, though he isn't really. He sits quietly by the fire, a sad smile on his face as he glances between the drinks menu and Pierre, who sits kneeling on the floor trying to help Yuki out of his ski boots. The Alpha Tauri drivers talk in hushed, happy tones between themselves, and though they are within earshot Charles tries to ignore what they are saying. It feels too intimidate, and he feels guilty for listening to the conversation only meant for the two of them.

They aren't even doing anything romantic— nothing but joking around. No cuddling, kissing, or cute pet names, but still the way conversation effortlessly flows between them, how they almost seem to know what the other will say, how the other feels... It all feels too overwhelmingly intimate all the same, and Charles can not help but feel like he isn't wanted here.

Sensing his discomfort with some sort of psychic level 6th sense, Pierre turns to Charles immediately, offering the shy Monegasque a reassuring grin as he pats Yuki on the thigh.

"I figured the next time I would have to help someone take ski boots off, it would be with my child," Pierre reminisces, before turning slightly to his struggling boyfriend and saying thoughtfully: "But I guess all this gear is probably children sized anyway, so no difference right?"

Yuki goes in for the kick on Pierre's shoulder, almost making the Frenchman fall over. Charles can't help but join Yuki in a good laugh over this, and Pierre curses them both a little as he gets up straight. Charles's only defense is that Pierre deserved it for being so rude to his boyfriend.

"Yeah, thank you, Charles," Yuki agrees eagerly, crossing his arms with a big smile as Pierre takes the seat next to him. "He's always mean to me— it's why I don't care he's leaving me for Alpine and his best friend Esteban."

Pierre makes a face, scoffing in displeasure. "Yeah, my 'best friend' I can't imagine how fun that's gonna be... he's had problems with basically all his old teammates, just shows how much of an asshole the guy is. I don't get how guys as nice as Mick and Lance can stand stand him."

Charles shrugs, finally picking out his choice of a hot chocolate on the drinks menu before the waitress comes over to take their orders. He can't help but notice the way Pierre orders for both himself and Yuki since the younger is too indecisive to choose. Pierre picks him one of the sweeter things on the menu, gently patting his boyfriend on the arm and telling him to:

"Trust me, you'll like it."

The Monegasque shifts awkwardly again on his side of the table, feeing out of place as he watches Yuki laugh and take Pierre's hand in his own "for warmth" as he puts it.