observation

the village looked deserted. all the people had dispersed into deep hiding as a result of the alarms. ikarí trailed ahead of lo'ak as he took in his surroundings. his eyes traveled to the homes perched over the tree roots. they looked to be made from the materials of the surrounding trees and were connected by long vines and branches in the area. it was like a labyrinth only the Tawakamí could understand. the leaves wove beds for the people while the bark acted as roofing. everything was connected and together. the placement of them reminded him of his home back in the forest.

the labyrinth spread for miles in all directions but seems to twist towards one ultimate goal. it pointed to a a place lo'ak could only assume held their spirit tree's locations. the village was decorated with the colored plants and small flowing creeks that formed in pots of the tree roots. plants like panopyra hung from their branches and tangled in the vines. it was all beautiful. the only thing the place lacked was the view of the sky which was blocked by the tangled trees above.

he shifted his attention to the girl in front of him. her tail swayed as she stormed ahead. he noted how it's size was similar to the his friends back home. hers was different though. it was trailed with what looked to be horns, similar to the armor tied onto her shoulders. her legs were larger than his despite the difference in their height and her body was broad. she was strong. her form was shaped by her environment. something about that made lo'ak admire her. his eyes lingered at the way her hair moved with her walk like it was a source of hypnosis. her form was adorned with colored beads and carved bones. everything she owned came from her home, and it was admirable.

"we must climb up here," she spoke pointing to a bridge leading up a tree, breaking his trance, "my brother will be waiting for us."

she guided him to walk in front making sure he didn't sway on the limp bridge. he looked back at her a little lost "i thought you were taking me to your chief"

"i am. my brother is the chief." she said. she was growing annoyed with the boy.

"then why didn't you refer him as the chief?" he was still confused.

"because i didn't feel like it. now keep climbing." he turned and continued his climb. the bridge felt frail so he traveled slow in fear of breaking it.

"faster, please lo'ak" she urged him. his name cause him to push faster despite his caution, still tripping ever so often.

now it was her turn to observe him. she had a good look at him back at the shore, but she wanted to know how he moved and carried himself. he was strong despite his age. he had no hesitance in his movement unless it was required. so far, she noted the respect he gave them. it was different than past invaders who just came demanding their needs to be met and then leaving. they walked with anger and violence, something that he has not shown. his respect was mirrored in his mannerisms which she found herself admiring. but he still annoyed her despite this for reasons she couldn't identify. his appearance still intrigued her. from behind, he noticed the beads laced in his hair as it swung, moving to show a strange grey band around his neck. she has never seen a material like it before. the more she observed the stranger, the more she desired to learn about him. her curiosity was getting the better of her and she felt it.

"turn" the silence between them as they approached a fork in their path. placing a hand on his back ikarí shove him in the direction she intended. her contact made him nervous, it was a reminder she was still in his presence.

"when we arrive, you say nothing. do not move unless i say, and remove all of your weapons." her warning only intensified his stress and caused his fathers words to creep back into his mind.

"but you took my weapons already" he replied
she took a breath to calm herself. he was being reasonable, so why was she so annoyed?

"i took the visible ones. any others that are hidden i suggest you remove." she said trying to hide the frustration in her tone.

"is there anything else i should know before i meet him?" he wanted to be sure he made no errors when he sees him. ikarí noticed this with appreciation.

"no. just be calm in your proposal and you will be fine." she reassured.

"alright, thank you-" he pauses waiting for her to give her name. she hesitates before giving her response.

"ikarí." her answer was soft.

"thank you, ikarí." he spoke with the same tone. she replied with a nod as they continue towards the chiefs location.
————————————————————————