eclipse

the world became dark. with no visible sky, the only source of light were the plants that were scattered on every surface. the horns rang as the village came alive with rushing people and chants. they were headed to the spirit tree where they would gather to make their decision.

the young group on the shore hurried to gather their work, carefully placing the animals in a dark cavern among the trees in hopes to hide it from scavengers in the area. they then shoved large rocks at the entrance to insure the safety of their hunt. the previous tension between the group and their guest seemingly dissipated while they made their way to the gathering as they helped lo'ak match their pace along the crooked bridges. the one person who seemed to shift was ikarí as she separated from the lively group. she felt her chest knot as she approached the entrance of her home. she hated gatherings. she hated the judgmental stares from the ones who believed she was to young to be a warrior. she hears their rumors and how they blame her brother for her placement, they filled her with shame knowing they thought so lowly of her. their whispers haunted her. to them, she was still a child wearing the armor of a warrior, and each gathering was a reminder of their perception. her thoughts consumed her as she began to dress herself.  dread filled her hear as she she started to dangling colored beads over her shoulder to cover her chest and draped down her arms, parring it with a wooden necklace that braced her neck. she moves to her arms, securing horned braces to her forearms. she decorates her hands with various rings before tying a red patterned fabric around her waist. the noise outside grew distant, signaling she needed to hurry. she frantically strung beads to her waist, just above her covering and placed one last leather band in her hair. the young warrior took a breath before she made her to join her clan.

———————————————————————

"where is ikarí?" that was the first thing lo'ak asked as they approached the spirit tree. he had not noticed her absence through the vibrant atmosphere. his concern became apparent through his sudden search for her through the crowd.

"don't worry forest boy, she has just gone to dress for the gathering" louke replies placing his hands on lo'ak's shoulders, "she will be up there with turi while they decide if you live." he laughs at lo'aks shaken face before he felt a sharp pain against his head. nguä had slapped him again

"can't you leave him alone for one second louke." she was growing tired of him.

"oh come on, i was just joking with him." he shifted to walk by her, nearing the front of the crowd.

"well you arent being funny, just rude. just please lay off until the end of this, ok?" she pleaded with him.

"whatever you say nguä" he says leaning into her body. he had no intention of stopping until he met her glare casuing him to throw his hands up in defeat.

lo'ak had already made his way ahead with the rest of the group still in search of ikarí. his anxiety began to spike again as he attempts to ignore louke'swords. the stares on his back did not help this at all. he felt as if he were in line for his slaughter despite knowing if he failed, he could simply return home. his mind trapped him with the unreasonable possibilities of the outcome of this gathering. he felt a hand on his shoulder leading him up towards the base of the tree. it was ko'akír , but he walked with a stoned silence. he threw lo'ak to the top of an overgrown root causing him to stumble. suddenly he was faced with the entirety of Tawakamí. their eyes shot holes through his chest until he felt he couldn't breathe. their hisses deafened his ears, he was afraid. his breath rattled, overwhelmed with the sight in front of him. the space that was one lively and energetic now taunted and berated him. there was a loud voice to his right, and the space became quiet.

"quiet my people, please, quiet." it was tur'itan his voice was powerful, demanding. his face was stoic and he stood tall. his hair was pulled back, displaying the youth in the man's face. to his left stood a man, similar in stature. he carried a large bow on his back with his twisted strands tied into a secure braid. his face also showed no emotion, but his eyes held arrogance. then stood ikarí. lo'ak looked to her but her covered eyes were trained ahead. she alluded confidence, masking her own dread. lo'ak traveled to her side but she did not move. her demeanor was colder which worried him further.