six paintings one frame part 2

"This is ridiculous, you're wasting your time!"

Yasmin winced slightly at the fury radiating from the tiny old woman, but she couldn't exactly blame her for her anger even though she knew that the police were just doing their jobs.

Robin's Nest was currently packed with cops and forensic techs combing every area of the property, checking every nook and cranny they could think of.

"I'm terribly sorry for this inconvenience," Yasmin apologized sincerely, causing the woman to look at her. "I know this is frustrating, but they are just doing their job and they do have a warrant."

The woman gazed at her inquisitively. "You're that mystery author, the one shadowing HPD?"

Yasmin nodded, glancing over her shoulder to where Katsumoto was talking with some uniforms. "Yasmin Knight, I'd say it's a pleasure but under the circumstances..."

The woman chuckled. "I'm Teuila Tuileta, cultural curator of this estate, but you can call me Kumu."

"Kumu, that means teacher, right?"

Kumu looked at her appreciatively. "You know your Hawaiian."

"A little bit," Yasmin agreed. Kumu smiled slightly, before a frown appeared on her face as she looked over at Katsumoto. "So, what made you pick a stick in the mud like that to follow around?"

Yasmin coughed, trying not to laugh. "He's...he's a good man, once you get past all the scowling, he just wants justice, like I imagine Magnum does."

Kumu hummed. "I suppose," Katsumoto began walking over to them and Kumu winked at Yasmin.

"That doesn't mean I'm going to go easy on him."

And Kumu lived up to that promise, as she immediately started in on Katsumoto and bringing up her apparently numerous connections. Yasmin quickly brought her hand up to hide her smile.

But there was nothing worth smiling about when Magnum and Higgins entered, Magnum clearly upset as he and Katsumoto went toe to toe.

And Yasmin had seen on Katsumoto's face the stress he was under, so when Katsumoto stepped closer to Magnum she intervened.

"That's enough," she snapped, causing the two men to turn to her in shock. "Mr. Magnum, HPD is simply following the evidence, something that I'm sure as a PI you understand."

Magnum was silent for a moment as he stared at her while Higgins decided to break the stalemate. "Does this cover the main house as well?"

"The judge agreed the paintings could be anywhere on the compound."

"Except they're not, because I don't have them!" Magnum shot back, tension rising once again.

"I'm just doing my job, Magnum," Katsumoto stated. "All right, don't get in the way, you're already under a cloud."

"He's right, Magnum," Higgins stepped in, shooting him a look. "Just let them do their search."

With that, Magnum, Kumu and Higgins took their leave and Yasmin let out a heavy sigh just as Katsumoto's phone rang.

"Yeah, Perez, what do you got?"

Yasmin turned to look at him, taking in the change of expression and there was a sinking feeling in her chest. "Yeah, great, thanks, make sure we have an appraiser on hand to inspect them."

"They found the paintings?"

"Yeah, in a storage locker in Wahiawa," there was a beat before Katsumoto continued. "The locker was registered to Thomas Magnum."