sudden death part 2

Katsumoto glanced at Yasmin out of the corner of his eye, who was glancing over her shoulder at Hani Iona who was being led by a uniform, in handcuffs.

And he knew why, knew that Hani Iona's son Mak was in the back of her mind as his father was being led to prison, but he had seen the security footage, the DA was already setting the charges in motion.

His phone rang at that moment, and he answered it quickly, "Katsumoto."

"It's Magnum, you and Yasmin seriously need to look into a guy named Wade Steuben, an MMA fighter,"

Katsumoto sighed, catching Yasmin's attention as he tried to interject. "Magnum-"

"I'm pretty sure he's the one Hani said was threatening Ellis Mason, look he's got motive and a temper."

Yasmin gestured for him to put it on speaker phone, and he did so, before stating, "We've got something better-murder weapon."

"Heckler & Koch 9mm," Yasmin added, her tone slightly quieter.

"Where?"

"A dumpster a half mile from the crime scene and there's security footage as well," Yasmin continued and Katsumoto allowed her, glancing at her carefully. "And three guesses who did the tossing."

Magnum was silent on the other end as Yasmin and Katsumoto came to a stop, Hani being loaded onto the prisoner transport van.

"He's being transferred to Oahu Correctional," Katsumoto took the phone off speaker, staring at Hani through the van's windows. "Prosecutor's officially charging him with murder one."

The call ended shortly after that and after Katsumoto signed the paperwork for Hani Iona's transfer he headed back to his desk, only to pause when he took note of Yasmin sitting at his desk, squinting at something on the screen.

He let out a heavy sigh.

"Why are you in my chair, Knight?"

Yasmin jumped, looking at him with a slightly guilty look as he crossed his arms over his chest and raised an eyebrow at her.

With a sigh she turned the screen to face him, revealing a rather large and angry looking man. Katsumoto peered closer to read off the screen.

"Wade Steuben-Knight," Katsumoto pinched the bridge of his nose.

"Look, remember what you told me before, about how I encourage you to not make everything fit into boxes?"

"That's different Knight," Katsumoto argued. "We have a suspect, we have the weapon and video footage of the suspect throwing the weapon away a few miles from the crime scene."

"I'm not denying the evidence is strongly pointing towards Hani Iona," Yasmin stared at him intently. "But the evidence also strongly pointed towards Magnum in the Jack Candler case, and he turned out to be innocent."

Katsumoto rubbed his hand over his mouth as Yasmin continued. "Look, I know this makes things complicated-"

"Knight, if a defense attorney got a hold of this, they could absolutely use this," Katsumoto pointed out, leaning forward on his desk. "This could create reasonable doubt and get the case thrown out of court."

"But Hani doesn't have a defense attorney beyond one appointed to him by the court," Yasmin argued, shifting in the chair so she was now facing him. "He seems to have just accepted the verdict or at least is holding something back."

"And what about Mrs. Mason?" Katsumoto was undeterred. "You want to undo her closure?"

Yasmin sighed, her expression conflicted. "No, I would never want to cause more undue harm to the family of the victim, but what if Hani is innocent? If the wrong man is sent to prison, then that means the real killer walks free and her closure is meaningless."