The Enemy - Andrew Belle

Harry's POV

—-------

Everyone is running from something. No matter what you were born as, no matter what you've grown to become. Every single one of us has our demons. Some people were always just better at hiding them.

Harry was no different. On the outside, he was this cool, handsome, reckless teen who passed his classes in school while also going out with friends, getting drunk, smoking, sleeping with the prettiest girls, dating the most popular girls in his town, and so on. Everything any teenager would want to be. That wasn't him though. It almost never is, is it?

His last year of school started as it always did. He took hard classes and passed them, got drunk at parties, and was dating Sophia Carnson who everyone envied (wanting to be her, wanting to sleep with her, wanting her to be theirs, etc). Harry always hated when people used women or anyone matter of fact, for their bodies but that's exactly what he was doing, wasn't it?

Holmes Chapel was such a small place, especially growing up in it. Everyone knew everything about everything and you could never just walk down the street without getting pulled into a conversation about girls or work or what you want in your future. At first, it was nice. Harry felt like he could talk to anyone about anything but one time they didn't say what he was expecting, it caused him to shut off completely.

"Harry!" Gale, this older lady who worked at the same bakery Harry did, called out. She was carrying a bunch of bags full of groceries, almost falling over from the weight of them.

"Hi, Gale." Harry smiled warmly and ran to help her load the bags into the back of her car. "How are you doing today?" he asked politely.

"Oh, I am great sweetheart." Gale responds. "I have to go and meet my granddaughter's boyfriend today. Apparently, she is wanting to get married by the end of the year. My, how fast time goes." Gale sets the left of her bags and Harry shuts the door for her. "Have any special ladies in your life?"

Harry takes a deep breath and looks to the ground. He never tells anyone about his sexuality, going far enough to lie to people. His mother and his sister, Gemma, of course know. I mean he was a kid who wore dresses around the house and sang Take My Breath Away as loud as he could. Not to be stereotypical or anything, but he was the literal definition of flamboyant when he was young. Since then, he has grown to hide it. He doesn't place flowers in his hair like he once would. He doesn't want to hide but he does. Maybe it's selfish. Maybe it's childish. But sometimes you have to do things you otherwise wouldn't, just because it could stop you from living. That's why people have addictions, isn't it? Whether addicted to substances, things, work, places, people. We all are just begging to feel something... feel something that makes us feel alive.

"Maybe. I guess we will see." Harry smiles.

It has been a year since he left his hometown. Now, he is himself, almost completely. He writes music and has his friends sing them. He doesn't share that information with a lot of people just because it's personal. His friends have lied to him saying that he is late or busy. Part of himself still protects himself when it comes to his sexuality, but in all honesty, Louis showing up has caused him not to protect himself but wants to protect him instead. He didn't make a good impression and that's for sure. Harry was having a rough night. He missed his mom, his sister got engaged and he wasn't there to celebrate with them. Missed his childhood bed. Even missed the stupid, small minded people in his town. He ran away for a reason and he's glad he did. Just sometimes it's easier to run physically while still leaving your head back where you were before.

Harry walks downstairs, knowing Louis is still in his room, and sees Coast drinking tea at his normal brown table. Coast looks up and smiles brightly at him. "Well, look who rose early this morning! No late writing like usual?" He asks, his silver hair shining in the sunlight.