Chapter 10, Work and Pleasure

Lauriah jogs most of the way and Erray stays just back to have time to stop if someone is in the way. He enjoys the board and keeping up with so little effort.

Two knights move to block their approach as they near security. Lauriah stops before them.

Erray skates right up beside him, stops and gets off the board, stepping on the end to bring the other up into his waiting hand.

Lauriah compliments, "Nicely done, but no board riding in security areas."

Erray tucks it under his arm, "Wise."

The two knights move back to leaning to the wall.

Lauriah leads him to a desk and signs them in, then to stairs. They go down one level and to a guarded open door.

Lauriah takes the board, "Let's leave it out here." He leans it to the wall by one of the knights, then he steers Erray into the room.

Three walls are lined with benches and twenty knights could easily fill them. The stone room is torch lit.

Urshawn sits on one side, legs out stretched with ankles crossed and his arms relaxed beside him.

On the other side of the room is a tall woman in white trench coat. Her top has no straps and seems to be attached to her pants, they are the same material as the trench coats. Her boots are brown leather and look traveled.

She is musclur as any knight and her features are thin on her round face. Her black hair is cut short, but for the top that hangs to her chin and goes up like a rainbow to the back of her head. Her eyes are warm blue and lined in black. Her pale skin has light random scaring, a hint of yellow tint and resent signs of sunburn.

She sits in the same pose as Urshawn as if she's playing mirror with him.

A knight stands in each corner of the room, watching the two of them wait.

Urshawn smiles as they come in, "You got here quick."

Lauriah teases, "He flies, too."

Urshawn shakes his head and tells the woman, "That's more of his sass."

He gently stands as she tilts her blank express to look over Erray.

Urshawn puts his arm around Erray, "This is Erray, my Sage and the Listener you seek. This is Mayajap, officer of the library from Musk Province and the first to quest to Were Castle in search of you."

Erray questions, "Me? Why me?"

Urshawn turns his hand over at the woman.

She slowly stands causing the corner knights to tense. She keeps her movements small and her voice soft, "Each will come with their own orders from the Wind Master. I have come to stand in body shield of the Great Listener. I hear the wind, but academia is not my task since reset. I retain knowledge of it, but reset took my manhood and gave me the aggressive ego I lacked as a man."

Erray finds her very feminine, but also terrifying. He hopes it is not prejudgment of her residency, "Thank you? I'm not sure I need body shield, there are knights everwhere."

Urshawn explains, "Their loyalty and priority are on me. Hers is on you. Belle has cleared her.

"I've ordered process for wind listener to come to learn from you.

"I don't think I should order how you instruct them. I think you should.

"I've aid applicants lined up for you. You can have them all or choice the ones you want as soon as Lauriah clears them."