Over

I began to walk forward, and I heard Jasper follow behind me closely while father and Emmett followed close behind us as well.

I slowed to a stop in front of Aro, looking to his hand. But I didn't move to take it just yet.

"There's no need to be afraid," he insisted lightly before his voice turned dark and accusing. "Unless you have something to hide."

"I can't remember a time when I was afraid of you, Aro," I denied him, my tone slightly cool, and his sadistic grin faded slightly. "However, I have a question for you, before we commence." He narrowed his eyes slightly before nodding, pulling his hand back to himself. "You knew Carlisle was my father. From the very beginning. Yet you never told me he was one of us... Why?"

"Oh, my dear. You needed taming. You were a serious threat to our world." He held his hand out once again. "So let us see if you still are, shall we?"

Fearlessly, I placed my hand in his, and I watched as he searched my memories, seeing times when I would snap and kill one or two people here and there, but still seeing my restraint--and much growth. But then he caught a memory of Jasper, and I watched as a grin grew into his face as he sifted through those. I pulled my hand from his strongly.

"I never said you could look through those memories," I snapped.

"Ah, always the wild little mustang I see, completely willing to defy me and my wishes."

"My memories with my mate have nothing to do with what we are debating here. You have no reason to delve into my personal relationships."

"Oh, I'm sure Alec would disagree." He raised his hand and turned to face the boy in question, beckoning my old friend forward, and slowly, Alec stepped toward us. "Alec, why don't you tell us?" He turned to look at me, but I kept my gaze averted as guilt began creeping into my heart. I felt calm swirl in, and I felt thankful for Jasper, but the growing guilt couldn't be masked as Aro continued with words that succeeded in hurting Alec all over again.

"You have feelings for Eleanor, do you not?" I didn't hear his answer, but I could tell he nodded in agreement by Aro's next set of words. "So what do you say you would do for her if she asked? To ensure her happiness?"

There was a long silence before he answered.

"Anything," he admitted quietly, and my heart skipped to life, tears filling my eyes as guilt overtook me. I looked to Alec, and I saw his shock, his sadness, his heartbreak. But what was missing was anger.

"Well-Eleanor here has met her mate. What do you think she would do for him?"

Another long silence before he answered, this time guilt mixing in to his eyes as well. His voice was quieter this time.

"Anything."

"Do you think she would do whatever he asked of her? Even if it meant revealing our secret? Even if it meant risking our safety?"

Heartbreak was becoming more and more evident in Alec's eyes, the dull sadness that lingered in them becoming more and more prominent as his cold, hard exterior slowly melted. The more pained he looked, the more and more guilty, the more and more fearful, and the more and more heartbroken I felt. I had hurt a friend. And I understood his hurt.

And that was when I realized.

Alice didn't take me with her.

She didn't take me for a reason.

She didn't take me because I needed to be here.

Because I was the only way Aro would leave my family and the others alone.