—— 8 ——

At Stanford University, Isis was in front of a professor's office. The door was open, but they were hesitant to go inside. They took a deep breath and braced themselves. Isis wasn't looking forward to the conversation, but they needed it. They gave it a quick knock and walked in.

The professor glanced up from their paperwork and was shocked. "Isis."

Isis stood by her desk, standoffish. "I need to ask you something."

She scoffed. "Well, hello to you, too. You'd think someone who hasn't seen their sister in five years would say hello."

Isis took a deep breath. "Osiris, can you answer a question for me or not? You teach psychology now, so you're probably the best person to ask."

"It's Iris now. You'd know that if you didn't dodge me for half a decade. What is your question?"

"Something happened to me last night. There was a feeling in my lower abdomen. What is the name of that feeling?"

"Going to need a bit more description, Isis. What did it feel like?"

"It felt like something was moving around. I know that's an odd description, but that's the best I can describe it."

"Sounds like nausea. Mayo Clinic could've told you that." Iris answered dismissively, vexing Isis even more.

"How foolish of me to think that you could stop being a bitch for five minutes to answer a question. This is serious to me and you're dismissing it just like you dismiss everything. My gender identity, pronouns, feelings, passions, career, achieveme—"

"Alright, Isis. I get it. I'm sorry. Tell me what happened before you felt this."

"You'll have a field day with this, I'm sure of it." Isis muttered. "I went on a date with someone. He wished me goodnight and kissed the back of my hand. I felt a sensation  in my lower abdomen. Like something was moving. It didn't hurt. I wasn't upset, angry, or about to have a breakdown."

Iris' mood lightened up as she smiled. "Oh, Isis. How sweetly naive you are. That's called butterflies. You get that feeling when you're with someone you like. You never felt that before because you don't let people in enough to get attached. I'm surprised you didn't have a breakdown when he touched you. You must really like him."

Isis felt scared. A lifetime's worth of scared. They knew a relationship with Michael wouldn't last and were scared they would set themselves up by giving him a chance anyway.

"Well, who is he?"

"None of your business. We're done here."

"And I'm the dismissive one? Everything is business to you. It's never personal. Keep acting as cold as you do and you won't have a man to feel butterflies for."

Iris' words hurt Isis deeply. Isis knew they would be the reason their relationship with Michael would fall apart if they started one. But for some reason, it still hurt to hear someone else say it.

Around noon, Isis and Michael were in his living room about to start their session for his book. Michael noticed how upset they looked as they were reviewing their notes.