Chapter 2 {Cat}

I think in my life I didn't have much to do with my family, but more with my parents' group of friends. Understandably, my family distanced themselves from us and the only thing that remained were the weekends when my parents and their friends organized some house parties.

I was already 3 years old. The age at which one is "schooled" in a kindergarten. I met many other children, of course also different families. I can still vividly remember a girl who had a crush on me and wouldn't leave me alone. She was chasing me all the time, kissing my cheek, and when I tried to run away from her, she wrapped me on the slide so I couldn't escape. My parents always laughed when I told them about it and told me again and again that it was cute. But I didn't think it was cute, it just bothered me and made me feel uncomfortable. But what did I expect? I wouldn't be taken seriously for the next 15 years. I would continue to be made fun of. I had friends in kindergarten, but I don't really want to call them friends. They excluded me for the most part, and if I didn't dance after their nose, they would break up the friendship again and again. Except for a friend. She lived right down the street behind me. Her parents were strangely good to mine. But what was expected of a village like this? everyone knew everyone and if you lost a wrong word about the other, you would immediately know who had blasphemed. At least she had a lots of cats. That's why I loved going to her home after kindergarten. I could play and cuddle with the cats. But at the end of the day, I was always sad to have to go home. We had once a stray cat with us in front of the house, but unfortunately she was not allowed in our house and mom has repeatedly forbidden me to cuddle with her. Supposedly she had some kind of illness. But she hasn't come in two or three months. Every evening I waited in front of the roof terrace window hoping to see the small striped tiger again. But it was hopeless.

On a Saturday afternoon I visited my kindergarten friend with my parents and was immediately happy to see the cats, but I was even happier when my friend's mother told me I could choose a cat. I looked insecure up at my parents and they nodded at me. Immediately I pointed to the Black Cat and said: "This one!" a shocked expression adorned my mother's face. "But Taehyung! Black cats bring bad luck," she said horrified, but I only shrugged my shoulders and was convinced of my decision. My father didn't care, he was a dog person anyway.  "Which name do you want to give her?" the mother of my friend asked. I immediately answered with "Samantha!" It was a very nice name for a female cat and the nickname would be Sam or Samy. My parents were satisfied with my decision and brought me and the cat to our home. I was so excited that I could hardly just walk home. You might have thought there was a swarm of bees behind me just chasing me.  But my parents were annoyed by my behavior and immediately my father's voice came up, asking me to shut up and run normally. Somehow the sound intimidated me as a child and I got insecure. Today I would probably build myself up and just scream back at my father to just let me be a kid, but who was I 12 years ago? I was just a kid. At home, we let Sam out of her transport box. I was so curious and watched her. Tried to get her attention with noises or stuffed her with toys until my parents got incredibly angry. My father came rushing at me with a high-red head. He grabbed me with his giant hand by my tiny arm and pushed me off the ground. He yelled at me to let it go, or he'd slap me in the face. I couldn't help but cry, but it only made my father angrier. "Why are you crying like a baby now? Shall I give you a reason to cry?" he murmured and raised his hand threateningly. I immediately held my breath to suppress my sobbing. I quickly shook my head and held my hands in front of my face, fortunately my father let me go and went back to the sofa to watch his show. He left me there, shocked and scared and all my mother did was to shake her head and carry on with the household.

If only you knew this scenario was still very harmless...