Chapter Two

After about an hour of reading, I discovered a book telling the story of a human, who went to the Boiling Isles around the 16th century, by the name of Phillip Whittebane. I actually already knew the story, cause this one was pretty old. My mother used to tell it to me all the time back home, but this wasn't going to help me. I'm pretty sure Phillip was evil, and he's probably dead anyway. One thing I don't quite remember though, is a substance called "Titan's Blood". The Isles were made out of a giant carcass, known as the Titan. But, what does the blood of the being do?

            I glanced over to Fern, her long green-ish, shoulder length hair covering her sparkling blue eyes.

            "Did you find anything?" I asked her.

            "I think I did, actually," She replied.

            Fern brought over a newspaper, with some witches that looked just like me. They even looked to be about the same age as Fern and I. But they weren't all witches. There was a human, too. The paper wasn't very old, so this had to have happened recently. These people, had to have left something to make the portal. Maybe Titan's blood?

            In the background of the picture, there was a stone structure, resembling something that could be a way back to the Isles.

            "Where do you think that is?" Fern asked me.

            "I don't know, but I say we go explore in the woods," I suggested.

            We still had an hour left, so we took the paper, and ran past our house, down to the woods. We ran through the trees, the leaves crunching between our feet. We ran until we got to the weird shack, that we never really thought to look at on the inside.

            I slowly approached the wooden structure, the wind blowing my long brown hair in my hazel eyes. As soon as I stepped inside, nothing happened. I fell into a tiny hole in the wooden floor, but there was nothing hidden in it. Somebody used to live here, but not permanently. I looked around the shack, the walls still having wallpaper on them. Fern soon stepped in after me, and the door nearly shut due to the breeze. It was only one room, and maybe a basement. But I didn't want to confirm that theory. The wallpaper was still in pretty good condition, except for one place.

            The wallpaper was pealing a bit on the back wall, so Fern decided to yank it away. Once she did, there was something underneath it.

            "What do you suppose that means?" Fern asked, while looking at what seemed to be a map.

            "It's a map, Pinecone," She had her nicknames for me, I had my nicknames for her.

            I studied the map, seeing it was showing the whole woods. Even what looked like that stone structure in the picture. We had to find a way to get there, but not tonight. We had to get home, and get ready to go back to our realm.

            Fern and I ran all the way back to our house, which wasn't really all that far. We came in through the door, realizing we were thirty minutes late. Fern and I sat down on the couch, hoping that our adoptive parents wouldn't realize we were late.

            "So, where have you been?" Keira confronted us, standing in the doorway of the living room.

            "We told you, the library," Fern told her. I'd never seen her really stand up for herself like that.

            "Well you're late. You had me worried, so please. Don't do it again," Keira seemed a bit harsh tonight, almost like she knew something about us. Just like that kid on the way to the library.

            We sat down in the kitchen and ate dinner. We usually have pasta, but tonight we just had soup.

            "Why do you think Keira's so angry?" I asked Fern.

            "Maybe because we were late for dinner and she needs to heat up the soup again?"

            "Maybe, but what if she knows something?" I was a little paranoid I guess.

            Fern tried to reassure me that everything would be fine, even though I still felt like it wouldn't. I finished my soup and went upstairs to my shared bedroom. Fern and I had shared a bedroom ever since we had been living here, mainly because there wasn't enough room. Normally, I would feel weird sharing a room with someone else who wasn't my sibling, but Fern and I were so close, we were often mistaken as relatives.

            I lay down on my bed in the small room, the shared closet in the wall, the shared desk, and the shared TV. If the room were any smaller, we'd have to share a bed, too.

            I watched the time on the clock pass minute by minute. Soon, it was almost nine at night, usually when Keira wants everyone in bed. I heard footsteps down the hallway, and Fern walked into the room and turned the light on.

            "Why are you sitting in the dark?" Fern asked.

            I walked over to her and hugged her. She hugged me back. I usually don't like people touching me, but Fern was the only exception.

            "I guess I just... miss my real mother," I hardly remember anything about her, but I do remember some things.

            Like how she used to tell me stories of how the Isles came to be. Or how she used to say that, you could be anything your heart tells you to be, as long as it's what you want. To not care about what others, think. That if you're happy, then that's all that really matters.

            "I know. I miss my dad as much as you miss your mom. But it's okay. It's natural to miss people sometimes," Fern said while stroking my head. Her dad always taught her to be kind. That's one of the best things about her.