CHAPTER FIVE

At first, whether she believed it or not, Shibuya did change. It was inevitable to not notice how the city was marked by an invisible chaos, missing the talks and stomping footsteps, the car's screeches and the buzzing of people's vibrant voices. When everything went quiet, Saki knew deep in her bones there was something wrong crawling her way.

Her gut had never failed her to anticipate good and bad events. It was a thing of her own; her dad often said it was God's gift for not being able to help her sight, but even if she agreed with him, Saki didn't acknowledge it 'cause God could've made a significant space in his agenda to give her a sign to stop waiting for him to answer her prayers every night and day. It was exactly like that how she got involved into that mess.

She prayed, and cried, and screamed for a forgiveness she didn't know she was meant to ask for, but God wasn't the one who picked up the phone. Saki felt the panic bubbling up her throat, tears running down her cheeks, and the grass under her hands, tickling her skin and maintaining her conscious.

The world turned, a voice spoke, and suddenly, she was too aware of her fast-beating heart. At those moments, it was hard to remember that there was a heart between her ribs, that her hope laid there where she breathed.

What is happening?, Saki shook her head and a bush caressed her face, Calm down, you need to calm down.

Just as her mother taught her, she tried her best to regulate her breathing until she finally got a hold of herself. Those types of episodes had happened often in her childhood, but that'd been the first one after a long time.

THE GAME WILL COMMENCE IN A MOMENT. . .

Saki's attention perked up at the announcement. Game? What game?, she thought, still recovering from the wiggle that covered her legs as she stood up, I don't even remember falling to the floor. Dust stained the knees of her pants, though she only noticed the cold, humid weather after a sigh escaped from her lips as she contemplated the idea of staying completely still or taking a step forward.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." Right as if her mind had been read, a man's voice stopped her attempt of lifting a foot from her spot, "Unless you want to die, go ahead then."

Die?, Saki swallowed down the last pieces of panic picking the inside of her mouth's flesh. She couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious about it. Either way, as more people seemed to approach the area, she confirmed herself that she was getting no nice feeling out of the situation.

"Have you grabbed a phone?" This time it was a woman. However, Saki didn't need to give her an answer as she gave it to herself, "I'll get us one," she called.

Saki doubted a cell phone would make any difference to the upsetting scenario she had in front of her, but once she felt the solid object on her left hand, she ignored whatever words came from it to focus on the couple's chat.

"This is the last time we join a game together, you hear me, Hirano? I don't want to see you bleed out again." The boy said, low as the leaves rumbled.

"As if I wanted to," his partner mumbled, "Fine, next time we'll go separate ways."

Perhaps she wasn't meant to interrupt a private conversation, but at that point she didn't really care if she did. Although, before she could even open her mouth, someone (or something) else took her chance to speak.

THE GAME WILL NOW COMMENCE. . .

GAME, POISONOUS GARDEN. . .
DIFFICULTY, ONE OF CLUBS. . .

SOME PLAYERS HAVE BEEN POISONED. . .

FIND THE CORRECT ANTIDOTE TO SAVE THEM AND CLEAR THE GAME. . .
IF THE REST OF THE PLAYERS FAIL, EVERYONE DIES. . .
IF THE POISONED PLAYERS DIE, EVERYONE DIES. . .