10: He Faces Her Friend

ZACH

Nothing will shake the sickening feeling growing in the pit of my stomach. Yvette's long gone, but the weight of her words still hangs heavy in the air. She said nothing, but somehow too much.

As I lean against the washing machine in the salon's tiny laundry room, I can't think of anything except that flash of fear in Yvette's eyes. Something happened between her and my boss. Something terrible. And I haven't got a clue what the fuck to do about it. Nothing? It's none of my business, right?

I scrub my hands down my face. My tired defeated groan echoes in the laundry room.

Today has been... a lot.

All the noise. All the people. The salon is an introvert's nightmare. There's nowhere to hide. I regularly clock eighteen-hour days, but it's nothing compared to this place. Days in the salon are relentless. My feet burn. My calves ache. There's never time for breaks. I think I saw Andie duck out to the bathroom maybe once, and I kept one of her appointments amused long enough for her to chug a shake for lunch.

Plain and simple, the salon is brutal.

How did my beautiful girl do this every day and still come home all smiles? She never complained. Not once. And there I was, taking her for granted, letting her dote on me. If I ever get her back, all that needs to change.

Footsteps approach from behind. Not Yvette's clicky heels. The steps are purposeful. Like a soldier. Ever since I arrived this morning, I've been waiting for Andie to come for me. The intense glare she shifted in my direction throughout the day hinted a confrontation was coming.

"Sneak away to slack off in the laundry, huh?" Andie chucks a towel across the room to hit the top of the pile. "You wouldn't be the first."

"Nah, I was putting on another load of laundry. You guys go through a tonne of towels. Oh." I reach for the pack of cigarettes sitting on the counter beside me and hold them up. "I found these in the washing machine."

Andie snorts. "Yvette," she explains. "Eden hates her smoking, but Yvette keeps a few packs hidden around the place. I found a pack in the freezer the other day."

"That's pretty weird."

Andie's smile is faint. "That's Yvette for you."

Andie's gaze doesn't stray from my face, watching me intently like I'm a puzzle she's trying to solve. It's that look again. My stomach twists and I stuff my hands in my pockets as if that will somehow protect me from the lashing I'm about to face.

"What was today really about, Zach?" Andie asks.

"I don't know what you mean. I was genuine when I said I wanted to learn about Eden's work."

"Is that really all it was?"

I sigh. "I think I know what you're getting at, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't want your approval. You and Eden are a package deal."

"We are. Do you even understand why though?"

"You've been friends for a long time." My answer is weak and Andie knows it.

"Eden's more than a friend to me. She's practically a sister. We made it through shitty families and a life barely off the streets to make something of ourselves and we did it together. If you think for one second that I'm going to stand by and watch you keep treating her like an afterthought, you have another thing coming. She deserves better. And if you're not going to protect her, I sure as hell will."

"I do want to protect her. I know I made a lot of mistakes. I put my career first and I shouldn't have, but Andie, everything I was doing was for us—for her—so we could have a better life together. I never meant to hurt Eden."