Chapter Two: Scoop

On the day I turned fourteen, my dad brought home an application for the local ice cream place, which is eloquently named Scoop.

I didn't really need the money since my parents paid for my phone, but they thought I should still learn how to manage it.

I obediently filled out the single page of questions and returned it the next day.

The manager, a twenty-something named Molly, gave the application a quick skim before hiring me on the spot.

I've worked there ever since (almost six months), and I love it.

The group I most often work with is super close. We call ourselves Team Scoop and give each other names.

Molly became Mommy since she's the boss.

Splat is a junior girl (Bethany) who does just that with 37.46% of her scoops. (trust me, we did the math)

Casper (as in the friendly ghost) is called that rather than Michael due to his knack for "accidentally" sneaking up on and startling everyone. He is also a junior.

Julian, a senior, is called Spark because his last name (Sparch) is pronounced the same way. Also, he once mistook a shiny sticker on the smoothie machine wires for a spark and pulled the fire alarm. It was hilarious, and thanks to Team Scoop, he'll never live it down.

Calvin is a sophmore we call Hobbes and pretend he's a crazy six year old with an imaginary friend.

I don't have a name yet, but since I'm the only freshman on the team, everyone calls me "Kid."

Along with being the only freshman, I am the only one who can't drive.

Luckily, Julian and Michael live in my neighborhood, so we carpool.

Today, though, Michael is sick, so it's just Julian picking me up.

"Bye mom," I call over my shoulder before running to Julian's car.

He opens the door for me like a gentleman.

"So, you ready for school?"
Julian asks as he returns to the driver's seat and pulls away from my house.

"I guess," I say. We both wave to my mom.

"It'll be no big deal," he reassures me.
"Yeah. I don't usually panic about school. I mean, I'll probably wear jean and a t-shirt the first day."

Julian fiddles with the radio. "What do you want to listen to?"

I think for a minute. "Creedence Clearwater Revival or The Glitch Mob," I decide.

Julian laughs. "Really? Those are two entirely different things!"

I shrug. "It's what I'm feeling," I say.

"I'm not saying I don't get it," He replies. "I'm feeling CCR too."

I pulled out Julian's collection of cds and picked one of the CCR discs.

As the first song, "Down On The Corner," begins, I take a deep breath.

"Hey, Julian?"

"Yeah?" He doesn't even look away from the road.

I try to act casual. "I have some gas money."

It's as if my words are flames and Julian has been burned.

He immediately rejects my offer.

"I'm fine," he mutters. "I don't need your money."

I sigh. "Julian! I knew you'd do this. It's only twenty bucks. You drive me to work almost everyday. That costs money, and since I'm not paying to put gas in my own car, I want to at least help pay for yours."