Chapter 4

Mariska had given me her number so I could call her and tell her when we would be leaving. She also gave it to me so I could contact her if I ever needed her. This couldn't be anymore amazing.
Two days later, I called Mariska and told her we would be leaving at 7:00 pm that night. She said she would be packed and ready to go by then. I was so nervous....I didn't want to have to tell the police what happened to me and I definitely didn't want to face a trial and a jury. I'm going to feel so...empty when I tell my story. But having Mariska there will help me a lot. It'll calm me a bit and help my mind stay focused.
My parents and I did a few last minute touring before we had to leave. It was 5:30 pm when we were finished. We hurried back to the hotel to pack and I texted Mariska.
"Hey, Mariska. Are you ready to go?" I texted and waited for a response.
A few moments later she replied:
"Yes. I'll meet you at the airport soon."
My parents and I packed up and made sure we got everything. I didn't want to go home. I wanted to stay in New York and never look back. But....I had to.
My parents and I drove to the airport and meet Mariska outside. I kind of got breathless when I saw her because I'm not used to someone caring as much as her. She smiled at me and I nearly collapsed. I gave a shy smile back. I felt so speechless around her.
"Ready?" she asked me sweetly yet concerned.
"N-no. N-not really...I'm scared. What if no one believes me?" I replied nervously.
"Have you ever lied to anyone?" she asked.
"No. Never." I replied firmly.
"Well then I'm almost positive someone is bound to believe you. Not very many people make up rape allegations against their best friend's brother." she said and she hugged me tight and kissed my forehead.
I began to silently cry into her shoulder and she caressed my back. I was literally shaking in her arms. I didn't want to go home. I never wanted to leave this magnificent city. I wish I could just stay here and leave my past behind me and never speak of it. But...I can't. Mariska is expecting me to be brave and face my attacker. I need to put him behind bars.
"It's okay, sweetheart. I'm here. I'll always be here." she whispered in my ear and I continued to sob while hugging her.
She had a sympathetic look on her face. I could tell she felt bad for me. No one has ever cared this much about me besides my parents. Mariska seemed to be the answer to my prayers. She was the best thing that ever happened to me.
We entered the airport a few minutes later and got ready to board the plane. We sat in the airport for nearly 20 minutes before we could board. We walked out the terminal and out to the runways. We climbed onto the plane and put our luggage away and took our seats. We were waiting patiently for the plane to take off.
I stared out the window and a tear rolled down my cheek. The fact that I had to finally come forward about what had happened to me was finally sinking in.
Finally the plane was ready to take off. We were told to buckle our seat-belts for safety. We did so, and not long after, the plane began taking off.
I was sitting next to Mariska and she noticed I was very uneasy. She grabbed my hand to comfort me. Gosh, she was so perfect. She was such a kind woman.
About an hour into the flight, I got tired. I needed a nap. I knew I was going to be jet lagged.
Mariska let me rest my head on her shoulder which was very helpful. Knowing she was there if I had a nightmare was everything I could hope for. I slowly began to drift off to sleep.
No longer than 5 or 10 minutes, I was fast asleep.