⠀ three. it's always someone you know

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

˚⋆ ┊    TWO GHOSTS    ┊ ⋆˚
☆⋅⋆ ─ act i. in the place of you and me

CHAPTER THREE — it's always someone you know— warnings: violence/gore !!

— warnings: violence/gore !!

there is no love like the love for a brother.
there is no love like the love from a brother.
  ASTRID ALAUDA

THE CRIME SCENE WAS HARDLY THE MOST GRUESOME NANCY HAD SEEN. The most unsettling thing about it was the familiarity. Nancy hadn't been the one to find the body of this particular kills the copycat was replicating in '98. But she'd spent years obsessing over those crime scene photos. Blaming herself for not noticing the signs, predicting what her Tommy was capable of.

"Shouldn'ta taken me this long," Nancy folded her arms across her blazer, exposing the badge clipped to her belt as Emily looked toward her with sympathy. She, Morgan, and Reid had been the only four agents sent to the scene, with Hotch and JJ staying back to welcome agents Riley and Gideon.

"You just got here, Chavez," But Prentiss' words did little to reassure the rage-filled agent.

"And there's already another body," To the untrained eye, Nancy was doing plenty to mask her anger. But Agent Prentiss was well trained. Every time she dug her nails into her palms. Every time she pushed a sharp breath through her teeth. Every little detail in her eye movements, her tone, it was all a dead giveaway to a profiler, "This bastard is still two steps ahead..." jaw clenched, Nancy's arms dropped to firmly grip her waist as her eyes landed on Reid and Morgan, blue gloves and rolled up sleeves combined as they crouched beside the young man's body, "I don't like being played,"

Emily nodded, although unsure how to proceed without poking the bear that was the infamous final girl, "You know what it could mean?"

Nancy looked up at the message painted across the lockers. He'd used more blood this time. Trailing down each letter to pool on the floor around the body. It wasn't her name this time. Nor was it the name of the victim. In fact, it wasn't a name at all. This time, it was two words.

"Remember me?"

Even when Nancy read the words aloud she couldn't make much sense of them. It felt almost too obvious.

Remember me...

Like she could possibly forget. But it couldn't be Tommy asking that. He was dead. Buried six feet under. She'd seen the body, she'd seen the grave. She put the bullet in his brain and she knew ghosts didn't exist.

"Suggests that... the unsub and I have a history," Nancy hadn't meant to phrase her words as a question, but she was undoubtedly less experienced than Agent Prentiss. Her theory could be very easily dismissed if she wasn't careful, "Think it could be someone I know?" she seemed almost nervous to ask. But she'd been through the betrayal of someone she knew, someone she loved, being behind brutal murders already. Surely it wouldn't hurt so much the second time around?