⠀ five. i'll be right back...

*ੈ✩‧₊˚

˚⋆ ┊    TWO GHOSTS    ┊ ⋆˚
☆⋅⋆ ─ act i. in the place of you and me

CHAPTER FIVE — i'll be right back

— warnings: violence/chase scene !!

three may keep a secret. if two them are dead.
  BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

⠀ ⠀ EDMUNDO CHAVEZ LIVING TO SEE ANOTHER SUNRISE WAS A FUCKING MIRACLE. Nancy thought she'd lost him. All day she'd been replaying the moment he saved her over and over again. The moment the blade sliced into his neck. How it missed his carotid artery she had no idea. Honestly, she didn't care. All that mattered was that he'd survived. Like she had eight years ago.

She hadn't lost him.

They hadn't spoken much in his time awake. Mainly because Eddie couldn't speak. The blade slicing through his neck had made it excruciating for him to talk. So he wrote what he could, and his siblings would interpret what they could, but all in all, he needed to spend his time resting not gossiping. So she told him all about how grateful she was he'd been so brave and saved her life. How stupid he was to make such a decision and nearly get himself killed. All around a lot of mixed signals from the federal agents whose job it was to do what he'd done that night.

One major advantage of having federal agents for siblings was the opportunity for the two of them to be appointed his main security. Officers stood outside his room or not, neither Nancy nor Mateo trusted anybody in the world to watch over their little brother.

Nancy had volunteered herself first watch. So when Mateo let himself fall asleep at a reasonable time, Nancy was still using what little energy the six and a half cups of, what may as well have been, pure caffeine was left. Unusually, the young agent had always struggled with the task of sitting around and doing nothing during a case. On a normal day, if someone said relax she was probably already doing it. But, when both you and your family are being targeted by a serial killer? You see how easy it is to put your feet up and watch The Price is Right. But being there for Eddie was more important than her insatiable need to hunt a serial killer.

Itching for some kind of change of scenery, Nancy decided the best thing to do was to stretch her legs and leave the room. By now, the breakroom would be empty, and she'd have all the time in the world to decide upon a vending machine meal, "I'm gonna..." started Nancy, words accidentally interrupted by a mid-stretch groan, "I'm gonna see if I can find something to eat, alright?"