One Night Stand

The year is 2004. Hermione just turned twenty-five today. She expected Ron, who she had been dating for the past six years to have proposed by now. To have been married and be trying for their first baby. But when she confronted Ron about it. He admitted he never pictured marrying anyone or having kids in the future. So Hermione broke up with him, but he told everyone he dumped her.

Which made bad press for Hermione. She was furious and wanted to hex him. But Kingsley convinced her to go on a vacation while he smoothed things over with the press. As she hadn't been on holiday since she started at the ministry after completing her NEWTs five years ago. She had already freed the house elves and made lives better for werewolves.

She had just joined the law department. With plans to get rid of the pro-pure-blood laws. When this happened. She didn't want to leave. But Kingsley and Harry convinced her that it would be for the best.

Hermione's POV

I had packed my beaded bag and picked up my wand. That had been returned to me by Draco Malfoy after the war. I didn't know where to go. Only that I wanted to camp somewhere away from here. With that in mind, I turned on the spot and disapparated.

I land safely. Without splinching myself. Which is lucky as I had no clear destination in mind. I looked around and realize I'm in a forest somewhere. It's not the forest of Den. Or the forest where the Quidditch World cups was held. It's completely unfamiliar to me.

I pick a direction and started walking. I walked for nearly an hour before I heard a twig snap. I drew my wand and turn around pointing it at someone. They were doing the same with their wand. "Hermione?" the person asks shocked.

"Who are you?" I demand keeping my wand raised. He steps into the light lowering his wand. I notice his red hair and overly freckled face. "Charile?" I ask surprised.

"What are you doing here?" he asks me as he put his wand away. I do the same with mine.

"I'm on vacation, why are you here?" I ask him confused.

"I work here" he states. I frown in confusion. "You're at the Romanian Dragon Reserve" he tells me. "You tripped our poacher alarm, I was sent to investigate as I was closest checking on Norberta" he explains.

"Norberta? Hagrid's dragon?" I ask curious.

"Yep, she's had her third clutch of eggs" he say happily with a smile. "Want to see?" he asks. I nod my head. I hadn't seen Norberta sense she was a hatchling, it'd be nice to see her grown up. He draws his wand and conjures a dragon patronus. "All good, no danger here. Just an old friend who got lost" he states and sent it off. Before putting the poacher boundry back up. Then lead the way pocketing his wand.

"So what brings you here?" he asks me curious as we walk.

"Broke up with Ron, he told the press he dumped me because I prude who wouldn't put out. Along with some other horrid things" I tell him.

"What a jerk" he mutters. "You were to good for him anyway" he states. "Still doesn't answer why you're here though" he tells me.

"Kingsley forced me to take a vacation while he dealt with the media back lash" I state. "I wanted to go somewhere far away from London, didn't have a set destination in mind and ended up here" I explain.

"You're lucky, you could of splinched yourself" he tells me.

"I know" I say as we neared a clearing. We stopped and he points at something. I squint and gasp silently. There she was, fully grown circled around a clutch of eggs. Suddenly another dragon lands before her, giving her some food.

"That's her mate, Cathrinus" Charlie tells me. "He's fathered all her young" he states.

"Wow" I say in awe.

"I know right, I love it here" he states. He then looks up at the sky. "We should head back to my tent, don't want to be out after dark" he tells me. I nod my head and he leads the way. We arrive as the sun begins to set.

He starts a fire and heats some stew. "Want some?" he asks and I nod. He serves us a bowl each.

"You sleep out here?" I ask.

"Yep, powerful spells are set up to prevent the dragons from seeing the tent or getting to close. Perfectly safe" he tells me. We eat in silence as he becomes thoughtful. "Hey, it's your birthday right?" he asks me.

"Ah yes" I tell him.

"How old?" he asks as he enters the tent.

"Twenty-five" I state.

"Huh, figured you'd be married by now" he states as he reappears with a bottle of fire whisky and two glasses.

"So did I" I tell him sadly.

"Ron not ready?" he asks as he pours us each a glass.

"Said he never planned on marrying or having kids with anyone. Had I known, I would of dumped him years ago" I state. He hands me a glass. "What's this for?" I ask him.

"You need to unwind" he tells me. "I was planning on saving this until Norberta's eggs hatch. But you need it" he states.

"I'm not a huge fan of fire whisky" I tell him.

"Come on, one drink" he says holding up a finger. "It's your birthday after-all" he reminds me.

"I guess one drink won't hurt" I say looking at the amber liquid.

"Of course it won't" he tells me. "Cheers to you, happy birthday Hermione" he says.

"Thanks Charlie, cheers" I say and we clink glass. I took a sip. Now something you may not know about me. I'm lightweight when it comes to alcohol. I wise tipsy by the end of the first glass and asked for a second.

"I mean, what's wrong with me?" I ask Charlie an hour later. "Am I unattractive? To smart? Not funny enough? How am I not marriage material?" I ask him.

"You're so marriage material, I'd marry you. Ron's the idiot who didn't see how good he had it with you" Charlie states.

"You're right Ron is an idiot" I state. I down my third glass. "I have a question for you Charles Weasley" I tell him.

"Ask away" he tells me as he sips from his fourth glass with a smile.

"How are you single? You're hot, smart, strong" I slur squeezing his arm. He chuckles.

"Tried dating a co-worker once, didn't work out" he tells me. "Besides I'm content with my job" he adds.

"But not happy" I state. "You'd be an amazing father. I've seen you with your nieces and nephews. You love children" I tell him. Bill and Fleur have two girls, Victoire and Dominque. Percy and Audery have twin girls, Molly the 2nd and Lucy. George and Angelina had Fred the second. And are expecting their second. Harry and Ginny just had their first James Sirius Potter a couple months ago.

"I do, guess I never found the right gal" he tells me. He finishes his drink. "We should get to bed" he states.

"Sure" I slur. I get up and nearly fall. He catches me wrapping his strong arm around my waist and I giggle. He lead me to the tent and I see there's only one bed. "Sleep with me" I tell him.

"Hermione, we're drunk" he tells me.

"But it's my birthday" I say pouting. "You don't want me to be sad on my birthday, do you?" I ask him. I trial my fingers down his shirt. "Come on, admit you want too" I slur and kiss his chin.

"Hermione if you don't stop I can't be held responsible for my actions" he tells me. As he wraps his arms around me. I look up into his blue grey eyes wrapping my arms around his neck pulling him down to me. And kiss him hungrily on the lips. You know what happened next and we fell asleep in each others arms afterwards.

A/N

Picture above of Charlie's camp site.