Part 2

"She's just the sweetest, Auggie!"

August sighed, smiling at his best friend. She was telling him all about the princess she'd met. They were seated at a cafe, drinks and pastries spread out.

"We're going out again, tonight!" Sapphia squealed. "That reminds me..." she paled. "I forgot my wallet."

"Seriously?" August groaned.

"I know, I know," Sapphia slumped back, "I'm not used to carrying money around, okay?!" She blinked. "So... um, can I pwetty pwease have some cash?"

She blinked, fanning her eyelashes.

August sighed. "Fine."

He dug into his pocket, handing her some jewels.

"Thank you so much!!" Sapphia lunged forward, hugging him. "You're the best!!"

"Don't mention it," August rolled his eyes, good-naturedly.

"Oh, gosh," Sapphia facepalmed. "I've been totally talking about myself! I forgot all about you, August. How've you been going?"

August shrugged. "Nothing too exciting. I did make a new friend."

"Ooo, really?" Sapphia leaned forward. "Tell me more!"

August breathed in. "Well..."

...

Sapphia had essentially ditched August for her 'master plan' as she dubbed it, which left the prince all by himself. He walked around the Pastel Kingdom for a bit, before deciding to go exploring elsewhere.

That was how he ended up in the neighboring Plaid Kingdom. It was far bigger than the Pastel Kingdom, with a heavier focus on military.

I bet Percy would love it here... he thought.

The kingdom seemed pretty populous today; August had to wonder what the occasion was. He soon found out by the crowd of screaming fangirls.

August paled. "What in the world..."

He stepped forward; the fangirls were all wearing red plaid of some kind.

Oh great, he thought. I've walked into some kind of fan club...

August spotted a blonde guy in green plaid, right away from everyone else. He was reading a book, his head hunched over.

August walked over to him. "Ohh, the Dogyessy. I love that book."

The guy squealed, jumping up. He banged his head on the wall.

"Oh, sorry," August waved his hands. "My bad! I didn't mean to scare you."

"..." the guy looked down, awkwardly.

"Uh, anyway, my name is August," August offered a hand, "it seems we got off to a bad start."

"... Frederick," the guy replied, cautiously taking his hand.

"Nice to meet you, Frederick," August smiled.

Frederick just kind of stared at the ground, awkwardly.

"So," August sat near him, "you like reading?"

Frederick shrugged.

"Me too," August replied. He sweatbeaded, looking at all the fangirls. "Ah, sorry, I really don't know this place at all. What's with all the red plaid?"

"..... my brother's fan-club," Frederick got out.

"Ohhh," August tilted his head. "Whoa, that's awkward."

He swallowed. He didn't have any siblings, but he knew what intense popularity could do to those around him.

He sat down near Frederick. The guy tensed up, inching away ever so slightly.

"What else do you like reading?" August asked, offering him another smile.

Frederick swallowed. "Just the classics..."

The guy didn't talk a whole lot. That was fair enough. When he was young, August had been pretty shy as well.

"Maybe we should get out of here," August suggested.

"I'd love to, but my brother would get mad with me," Frederick sighed. "He wants me to stay here for some stupid reason."

"That's a pain," August furrowed his brow. "Well, at least you're not alone anymore, right?"

Frederick went red in the cheeks. "Um... yeah."

He wasn't such a bad guy. Cute... but not really August's type. August tended not to have a lot of interest in other princes, since a lot of them were arrogant to the point of annoyance. August had not met Frederick's brother that the fanclub was based around, but he was going to assume he was one of those types.

Well, even if he wasn't into Frederick, he was glad to meet someone who had the same taste in books.

"Hey, bro!"

Another guy walked over; he was fairly tall and dressed in blue plaid. Although he was a prince, he reminded August a lot of the knights back at Pythia.

(Knights... exactly August's type.)

August's cheeks burned. Whoa, who is this!?!!

"What do you want, Lance?" Frederick sighed.

The guy named Lance turned to August. "Who's this?"

"Um..." August looked away, cheeks burning. "I'm August. I'm... I'm just a tourist."

"Nice to meet 'cha," Lance shook his hand. "Welcome to the Plaid Kingdom!"

"Thanks," August replied, his face growing redder.

Frederick stared at August's lovestruck face, and rolled his eyes.

"See you later, then," he said, getting up.

"Uhh-" August snapped out of it. "Hold up! Wait!"

He followed after Frederick, who looked surprised.

"What is it?" Frederick asked.

"I'm sorry," August bowed his head. "I didn't mean to make you feel awkward."

Frederick just stared at him, blankly. "Yeah... well. I've had enough of people simping over my brothers."

"I wasn't..." August trailed off. "Augh. I messed this all up."

Frederick turned away once again. August fretted, snapping his fingers. An idea hit him.

"You know..." he made a face. "I heard the author of the Dogyessy is writing a new book."

"Really?" Frederick asked, staring at him again.

"Yeah," August waved a hand, walking beside him. "It's gonna be a good one..."

...

"So after talking to Frederick about books for way too long, I came back here," August finished.

"Aw, that's so sweet," Sapphia grinned. "Such nice people here, right?"

"Yeah," August blushed, hoping he'd get to see Lance again.

"I want to move here, August," Sapphia told him. "Knowing Mom and Dad, they'd probably be happy I'm far away."

"Me too, but we are still kinda married," August pointed out, "and I can't really leave Pythia."

"I guess saying we have an 'open relationship' won't work," Sapphia groaned.

"Our parents wouldn't let us be gay anyway," August agreed.

Sapphia frowned, banging her head against the table. Her eyes lit up.

"Ohhh, I got an idea," she said.

August sweat-beaded. She had that mischievous look in her eyes.

"What is it?" he asked, cautiously.

Sapphia stood up.

"Get on up, Augs," she declared, "we're going to the Pastel Palace!"