a fingers snap

i walk up to my apartment door to see that the lock was broken and the door was damaged "oh.. no no no no" i swing the door open to see that the table was about broken in half, all of my artwork that hung the walls in both my room and living room was gone as well.

the little bit of money i kept in my drawer was gone, a few pieces of costume jewelry were missing, and lastly, the painting of matty i did was missing from the kitchen where it laid before i left earlier today.

tears start to brim my eyes as i realize almost everything i cherished was gone, stolen from me.  i walk into the bathroom to see it was untouched and the spare room was how i left it last.

i shakily grab my phone and dial matty's number "i was just about to check up-"
"someone broke into my apartment a- and stole everything" i press the back of my hand to my lips trying to control my sobs

"my art is gone and some of my money- jewelry too" i give up and let my cries break "don't do anything i'll be right there" i look around my apartment and continue to cry "blair, did you hear me? i'll be right there" he says panicked "yeah.." i couldn't even say anything else before hanging up the phone.

i walk into my room and check my closet for the small jewelry box i keep my valuables in. luckily, everything was still there. a few pieces of clothing were thrown around my room as well. i didn't have the energy to look through my closet to see if clothes were missing as well.

within minutes matty walks through my apartment door "oh for fucks sakes, blair-" i walk into his extended arms as tears roll down my cheeks. he rests a hand on the back of my head "have you called the police yet?" he asks "i didn't know what to do- they took everything i've worked for! i even had pieces in the process of selling that they took-" i sniffle and leave his arms "just take a breath. i'll call the police and report it" he sighs while looking around my apartment.

i walk past him and sit on the counter in the kitchen as he handles the police call for me. the rest of the night was a blur. a couple of police men stopped by to take inventory on the stolen items, saying they needed them for records and just in case any of my items surfaced.

i remember matty getting mad at the fact the cameras didn't work in the building, so there was no way they could use that as help to catch who did this. the officers left shortly after gathering the information they needed.

matty's hand rests on my back as we stand in the middle of my apartment still taking everything in. my eyes start to water again. some of the first things i ever painted were probably something i'd never see again; repainting them wouldn't be the same.

i sigh angrily, leaving matty in the living room as i walk to my room "blair...-" "who in their right mind does this shit?! i'll probably never ever get most of this stuff back and yet they just get to keep it? without getting caught?!" i say through angry tears.

matty walks up to me and places his hands on my cheeks. he wipes off the few tears i have "i want you to pack a bag and i want you to come back with me. there's more than enough room for you until everything here gets fixed" his voice, calm and soft.

i take a deep breath and nod my head. he places a kiss on the middle of my forehead "thank you.." i look at him gratefully "it's what friends do, okay?" he raises his eyebrows. i nod my head, compose myself and start getting clothes together.

i was walking into matty's house for the second time today. i tiredly kick my shoes off and follow him through the house to his spare bedroom "are you gonna be okay?" he says while folding back the covers on the bed for me

"it sounds so dramatic but they took everything i had, my art that i had worked on for months at a time just... gone, within a fingers snap" i sit on the edge of the bed "do you need anything?" he asks while taking a seat next to me.

i look at the time on my phone to see it was 10:00pm "a drink and a cigarette sounds nice" he laughs under his breath at my words "come on" we both stand up and matty walks us to the kitchen "the absence of color in your house
is-" "beautiful thank you very much" from what i have seen of the house it's mainly black and white; maybe a few neutral colors here and there.

he grabs the bottle of bourbon from earlier along with a single glass "i've had my fix for tonight. i'll have a cigarette with you instead" he pours a small drink in the glass. he pushes it towards me as he stands on the other side of the bar that sits in the middle of the kitchen

"i should probably talk to the apartment owners about the door and see when-" "i told them already. they stopped by when you were listing off the items" i sigh, not even remembering that "thank you so much" he grabs a cigarette and hands it to me. he grabs one for himself, placing it between his lips.

he starts the lighter and waves the closer so he could light it for me. he watches my lips as i take a drag after the initial lighting. he quickly adverts them to look down at his cigarette while lighting it as well. i exhale the smoke following up with a sip of the bourbon.

i get up and examine the small counter behind matty. a few assorted sweets lay in a bowl "wow... you're such a grandma" i say teasingly. he scoffs playfully at my words "and i have the gray hair to prove it i guess-"
"beautiful gray hair! that doesn't determine your age either" i point at him "i always thought it did" he lifts himself up onto the counter.

i rest on the counter next to him "nope, i think it makes you more wise" i shrug my shoulders. i finish off my drink and cigarette "never thought about it that way..." he knits his eyebrows "i'm gonna try and get some sleep, matty.." i set my glass in the sink.

he hops down from the counter "of course, love. my rooms right down the hall of you need anything" i bring him into a hug. his chin rests over my shoulder given the small height difference "i cant thank you enough..." i pull away and place my hand on his cheek "no need too. i'll see you in the morning" i nod my head with a small, closed smile.

i tiredly make my way out of the kitchen and into my room for the time being.