ELEVEN

CHAPTER ELEVEN
main character

"A PLAYER FOUND the real mirror," the voice resonated into the headset

Kaori's body was frozen on the spot, the woman unable to move or to think properly. She felt the whole room narrowing around her, the mirrors slowly getting closer and closer, crushing the oxygen out of her lungs.

In reality, the girl was experiencing an anxiety attack, violently shaking and pressing a hand over her chest with the sole desire of opening her lungs and taking a large, deep breath. Eyesight darted with black and white dots, she was vigorously blinking but it only caused the whole room to start spinning faster and faster.

Her body was getting warmer by the second, this uncomfortable warmth that preceded a brutal nausea. Kaori wanted to throw up, she really did.

The lack of oxygen was so strong that Kaori stumbled forward, tripping over a body, and crashed onto the cold ground. At this exact moment, another gun shot echoed in the maze.

I didn't want to find this mirror, I didn't. Why, why, why? I was tricked, just like everybody else. Why is this happening to me?

Finally, Kaori looked ahead, her eyes connecting with her reflection. I look fucking pathetic. I knew what I was walking into. I win five games and I think I'm the smartest, that I'll always figure out a solution? What a fucking idiot.

Her gaze darkened, rage rising in her chest. She absolutely despised what she was watching at this point. A crippling, weak and desperate version of herself. People shamelessly killed to get what I have right now. I judged them for it, I hated them for being so selfish. But there I am, on the floor, acting all scared when I'm the one surviving.

Footsteps came closer and, through the mirror, Kaori watched a man walking in her direction, holding his gun tightly, the weapon pointed in front of him.

The girl didn't think twice, she closed her eyes and stopped breathing until he was far off.

I'm just like them. I don't wanna die, I'd rather pretend to be dead than to face a guy with a gun, he'd kill me in a heartbeat and I know it. Yeah, this world's fucked up but looks like I'm part of it.

The thought was ripping her heart out. Kaori had it figured out. It would always be a painful victory. Walking out of a heart's game without a single ounce of remorse —as tiny as it could get, was impossible because heartless people would end up dying.

This type of game had been created to reveal the disgusting part hiding in every single one of them.

"There are two players left."

She still couldn't figure out the mechanism of this specific game. Kaori wanted to know what was the actual key leading to the real mirror, she knew it was not committing murder —it was a heart's game, not a spades' one, and it seemed too easy, or maybe too alienating, to simply be about looking at a bunch of mirrors in hopes of finding the good one.