Chapter 8 "Light through Darkness" [part 1]

All I knew about dragons was that they could fly... and kill.

Not so long ago, I could never have imagined seeing a dragon.

They were just a fable, characters in a children's story.

But after all the magic was revealed to me, so were these beings that inhabited the Kingdoms for many more years than I even imagined.

And every time I asked about dragons, the answer was the same.

If you see one, run.

They were supreme born hunters, who with just a little of their fire could wipe out entire villages. Feared since the beginning of time, they were ferocious creatures that only harvested fear among those who confronted them.

That was why the Kingdom of Vulcan had always maintained a kind of reverence amongst the other Kingdoms. No one wanted to mess with the Kingdom of dragons.

And at that moment, under Renox's snout, with his claws dangerously close to my head, nothing I had read or heard could have prepared me for the panic I felt.

I was utterly terrified.

'Don't move Gaia.'

'Do something, Phoenix,' I begged, but I wasn't sure he could control the dragon.

Renox was shaking his head back and forth, studying his surroundings, trying to figure out perhaps who the stranger was that had woken him up.

'Renox I command you to back off!' Phoenix shouted without assuming any sort of authority.

The dragons did not seem to respond even to the image of their King.

Renox approached me and opened his mouth.

 I thought it would all end right there, until I felt the vibration of its roar

My hair came loose, my dress was ruined and my ears fell victim to the rumbling sound.

'Please,' I begged the dragon now.

It watched me again, warily.

I have to do something.

I thought only of the one new thing I possessed...the mark on my arm.

I ripped my dress at the sleeve, leaving the flame exposed.

With my mind, I summoned the light of creation, the power that was hidden in my necklace.

I summoned the light into my hand, letting it concentrate all into it.

'I can give you what you want,' I said to the being, not quite knowing what I was doing.

My hand fell against my arm, light over flame, the power of creation over the power of fire.

And I felt it.

I felt it in every vein of my body.

In every muscle, in every bone.