i

Once the TARDIS was drifting through the Vortex, the Emissary backed away from the console.

"Wh-where are you going?" the Doctor asked. He'd gotten used to the Emissary staying in the console room with him. Her leaving before Rose was strange enough that he couldn't help worrying. He swallowed. The tightness in his chest from watching her walk out to face the wolf hadn't yet eased.

She stopped and looked back at him. She must have seen the worry in his eyes, because her expression softened as she looked at him. "I'm just going to bed," she told him. "I haven't used that much Artron energy since the War. It just took a lot out of me." She laid a hand on his arm. "I'll see you later."

Rose waited until the Emissary had disappeared down the hall before she slid up next to the Doctor, teasing grin firmly in place.

"Sooo," she said casually. "Your fiancée, huh?"

"Stop it," the Doctor said instantly.

Rose held up her hands innocently. "I didn't say anything."

He gave her a suspicious look as he moved around the console. She followed. "But if I was saying something..."

"Don't."

"She called you darling and you practically melted," she teased.

"I did not!" he protested. She raised an eyebrow. "I was just... I was just, just caught off guard. Wasn't expecting it."

"Right. That was very believable." She got in front of him and crossed her arms. He stopped reluctantly in front of her. "You like the Emissary, and what's even better, she likes you."

"What?" he squeaked. "No. The Emissary does not like me. We're just friends."

Rose rolled her eyes, muttering under her breath, "Oh, you two are perfect for each other."

He furrowed his brow. "Sorry, what was that?"

"Nothing," Rose sighed, leaning her hip against the console. "Doctor, come on, you don't have to pretend with me."

"It's not, I'm not..." he trailed off awkwardly. "Time Lord emotions are different."

"That's not what the Emissary said," Rose singsonged. At his wide eyed look, she shrugged. "What? I asked, because it's obvious to everyone we meet that you two are into each other." She rolled her eyes. "Everyone except you two." She nudged his shoulder playfully. "So come on! Admit it."

He just stared at her for a long moment, emotions warring in his eyes, before he sighed and nodded, stepping around Rose. "Fine. Yes. I like her." He threw Rose a look. "You're very persistent, you know."

"Comes from my mum," she quipped.

"I believe that," the Doctor muttered.

"So why don't you tell her?" Rose asked.

"Rose." He looked at the blonde, who was staring at him with one eyebrow raised. "Just because I... have feelings beyond friendship for her, does not mean she does for me." He shrugged. "I'm just her friend. And I'm okay with that." He narrowed his eyes at Rose and pointed. "And don't you go meddling!"

Rose was just staring, eyes wide in disbelief. "I just... I can't," she mumbled, shaking her head. "How can two people be so dumb about the same thing?" Her phone rang and she pulled it out, still staring at the Doctor. "Mickey, thank god." She walked off down the hall, leaving the Doctor alone with his thoughts.