Chapter 8: Blood

─────•~❉~•─────

 ─────•~❉~•─────

EVENTUALLY, BONNIE HEADED back to cheerleading practice and the breeze had gotten too cold, even for her jumper, so Arwen moved away from the bleachers and made herself comfortable on the grass near the cheerleaders who were warming up for their practice session.

Caroline still hadn't arrived, and Arwen could tell the girls were beginning to get restless. Elena and Bonnie were talking in hushed voices, occasionally glancing at the entryway to the carpark to see if the daughter of Mystic Falls' renowned sheriff would finally make her late arrival.

Reading the English book had long since gotten tedious and Arwen was now fucking bored out of her mind. She had finished it and even tabbed the important quotes and notable scenes with coloured sticky notes she had borrowed from Bonnie. Arwen never thought she'd even read the book for the upcoming assignment. The wonders of what boredom can do for someone, right?

"Arwen," a familiar voice spoke from behind her, and Arwen turned to see Stefan walking over. Arwen's eyes trailed over his dark-brown leather jacket that exposed the grey shirt underneath. The same shirt that did basically nothing to hide the fact he had incredible abs. Fuck me dead... 

Arwen could feel the heat rise in her face when she caught herself staring, and she looked away. "Hi, Stefan," she said, pretending to be very interested in the discarded book in her lap. "You need something?"

Stefan stopped and looked down at her sitting on the grass. "No," he said, shaking his head, lips moving up in a small smile. "I heard from Elena that you were coming to the dinner at her house tonight with Bonnie."

Arwen forced out a smile. "That's the plan." If nobody could tell, that was a sarcasm waffle drenched thickly in fake-enthusiasm maple syrup.

He handsomely huffed in amusement, sitting down on the ground beside her now. "Not a fan of going out?" he asked as he put his leather bag down by his side.

"I like going out to eat, actually," Arwen defended, starting to feel tense with hot nervousness when she felt the warmth of his arm grazing against hers. Of course, she wasn't afraid of him. Not at all. It was just that Stefan fucking Salvatore of all people was sitting so close to her that she could practically smell his natural pine leaf and hazelnut scent.

Stefan's eyes seem to lighten up. "You do?"

"Occasionally."

"Great," he said, turning to look out onto the field, hiding his smile from her. 

Arwen lifted her head towards the field where he was looking. The jocks running around clumsily, dressed up in ridiculous armour-like clothes that you'd never see in Australia. The best thing about Australian footy was the brutality of the players. Raw flesh scraping against the ground, and men knocking and shoving each other around like stumbling, sweaty bulls. Arwen never understood how the game worked, but she used to occasionally take a peek at the TV screen years ago whenever her granddad was watching live.