-『𝟞』-

Wheein's school has its 20th anniversary tomorrow.

There'll be a whole festival and she's inclined to bring her own meals to impress everyone. I thought it was just an attempt to add yet another thing to brag about in her already perfect persona for the staff in school to see.

Other than that, she thought it would be nice to have a genuine 'youngster', which is herself, as a meal provider because as she says, "The oldies are aiming for vegetables but the kids don't want that-" then she points at herself, "-I'll fix that with something more kid-friendly." She's the youngest among her colleagues.

If I were a kid, I would certainly be overjoyed to munch on a variety of food rather than sticking to one; vegetables that adults prefer that is. Hearing how she's been gushing about her energetic preschoolers, I'm sure they would too.

I always help her when she needs one and she does the same. As soon as I walk into her house, she starts following me around the kitchen like a loyal pet for guidance because I've always been a better cook than her. Probably better than all my friends -- which are her words, not mine, and I don't mind the compliment.

One thing that I'm most proud of about myself is that I'm a pretty good cook. When I cook, it always feels natural and it calms me down. It helps that people like them too. That's why I would like to have my own running restaurant with foods that I create.

I bring Hong-Nan, my sister, with me because she's just as good. I knew Wheein will not be able to do a lot so I called for backup.

I'm on the kitchen counter finishing the Japchae, while Hong Nan works on the Omurice when Wheein speaks from the sofa.

"Will all this be too much? I think I might've overstepped coming up with these dishes," She stares at the list on her tiny notepad, "Ganjajeon, Wanja Jeon, Hobakjeon, Gungjung Tteokbokk-- won't this give them diarrhea or something?"

"They won't. Well, considering we're putting the right ingredients, we'll be totally safe," I reply.

Wheein gives me a look, clicking her tongue, "No funny business, I'm putting all my trust in you. One kid cries the moment they eat my dish, the principal's already digging my grave at the nearest cemetery."

"Relax. With this girl as a chef, what could possibly go wrong?" Hong Nan talks, coming up next to me with the last finished Omurice, "You should be worried that the servings might not be enough. They'll be taking seconds every minute, you might not even get your own."

Hong Nan pats my back energetically and I scrunch my nose at her.

She's like this because I cooked all the meals her friends wanted during her 16th birthday party. They did want seconds, a lot, and I was experiencing hell in the kitchen. She knows she owes me a lot when it comes to cooking. It's right for her to compliment.

Wheein nods, giving me an approving smile as the one parents give you when they're proud. "Not gonna lie, she does make killer cooks." She straightens up her form suddenly. "Which reminds me-- you definitely and I mean totally should register in the big cooking competition they're doing in this town next month."

Hong Nan and I look at each other, unaware of this news before turning to Wheein again.

"A cooking competition here?" I ask.

"Uh yes. People talk about it a lot in my school. I thought you'd actually know about this first considering how much money is at stake for the winner."

"Pfft, how would I know? It's not like I'd immediately know about every opportunity that involves money," I say smirking but then it falters as both of them give me a long silent look. "Okay fine, maybe I would but I don't know about this one."