Part 1: Sleepy Temper Tantrum

Darkness greets me as I feel the slow, twitching movement of my limbs return to me, followed by the bleary-eyed realisation of where I am.

Moon.

Panic floods my chest and fills my limbs as I flail to get out of the blanket the animatronic had wrapped around me, spitting out the dummy hurriedly and untangling myself.

Despite the lack of any light source besides the quiet glow of the arcade light signalling its position, I can just about make out the mess around and under me had been pushed to the sides of the room, a pillow supporting my head and another, fluffier blanket covering the floor beneath me.

Nice of the bastard to keep me from putting my back out mid-coma.

Aside from all my ribs being in working order, the only optimistic revelation I've made so far is that I'm alone. Untied. With a cramped hole in one of the walls leading somewhere that's not here.

It's a start.

"What I'd give for a glock right about now," I mutter as I wiggle none too gracefully through the blue tube, being spat out in a slightly bigger room, more illuminated thanks to the dull beam of the glow in the dark stars and Pizzaplex lighting reaching into my humble little prison.

In front of me a pathetic set of metal stairs and a far-too-easy to scale railing framed an escape route - familiar curtains bordering the gap.

"Bingo."

I don't even bother with the stairs, settling for throwing myself over the metal bars and trotting out onto the balcony, met with a view that glared almost eerily in the shadows of night.

It doesn't take a genius to see that the drop from where I currently stand to the ball pit below would, at the very least, leave my body broken as a bag of potatoes; presuming the impact didn't immediately kill me.

"Starling!!"

Well if the fall doesn't end up killing me, the heart attack I just experienced certainly will.

Moon's voice is raspy and crackling with pure panic - if he were human, I'm sure his unmoving face would actually express his horror.

I don't bother finding him with my eyes - I heard him loud and clear from somewhere below, and as soon as the initial fear wears off I'm running, vaulting over the railing, throwing myself head first through the tube, and hiding behind a pile of toys and broken not parts I hurriedly scraped together from all corners of the room.

It's too obvious, but the arcade machine is too heavy to push forwards, much less use it to block the hole, and I'm hoping the animatronic will at least be clueless for long enough to dart back out to the other room and... Then what? As far as I'm aware, there's no exit besides down. I'm not quite at the point where I'd jump yet.

"Starling, where are you? Are you alright?"

Sweet fuck, I didn't even hear the guy land.

Moon sounds halfway between panic and trying to sound soothing, soft metallic clinking and the quiet rustle of bells signalling his arrival into my hiding room.

The animatronic lets out a strained noise when confronted with the discarded mess of blankets where I'd formerly been sleeping passed out, grabbing at them and slinging the fluffy weight over his shoulder.

"Sweetheart, you need to come out, you must be freezing," he whispers, optics locked on the hastily made mound of junk I'm hidden behind.

"It's not safe to be so close to sharp items princess, we don't want you getting hurt."

He knows where I am.

In a rush of adrenaline and nerves I dart out from behind my heap of crap and make a beeline for my narrow escape - only to let out a reluctant shriek as a pair of hands grab onto my waist, gently restraining me and dragging me into a padded chest that gives off a soft warmth.

"Easy now little sparrow, you're okay, I've got you," he murmurs, nuzzling against my neck with his faceplate and lightly rubbing my sides in what I assumed he meant to be a comforting gesture.

"Let me go, fucker!" I hiss, using all the strength in my body to try and rip myself out of a metallic hold, which obviously wasn't going well for me.

Moon shushes me softly, wrapping one arm around me to keep me in place as he drags a blanket off his shoulder with the other and draws it around me.

This one is new.

A thick grey blanket that feels frustratingly heavy weighs down on me as the animatronic swaddles me like a distressed baby, tucking in the edges and ensuring it wasn't too tight before sitting himself down with me cradled tenderly in his arms, held to his warm chassis.

"You're safe now, Moon's got you," his coos do little to calm me as I thrash against the weighted blanket, cocooned in a bundle of heavy fabric and metal arms coated in silicone.

His eyes watch me, the unblinking optics focused on me as I hiss and writhe under my soft restraints. It's odd how much an unmoving face can express emotions.

"Oh princess, we're so sorry, it must have been so scary waking up all alone like that," a hand begins to run through my hair, "we wanted to get some things to help settle you in, we weren't expecting you to be awake so soon..."

He stills then, seeming to slump as a blue-tipped finger hooks under my chin and lifts my face to meet his gaze, "I know you were scared sweetheart, but promise me you won't go onto the balcony by yourself again, it isn't safe for little stars like you," fingers come back to weave through my hair again, my head nestled in the other hand.

"Fuck off you crazy asshole!" I shout, baring my teeth as I strain and fight down the rising panic at being unable to move my arms, at being stuck like this in a place with no exit.

"Language little star, naughty words aren't very nice, especially from a cute baby like yourself. It's still very late, and you're no doubt all tired and cranky from your long day..."

The raspy-voiced hostage swaddler holds me even closer if possible, shuffling backwards and pulling the plug of the arcade machine, killing what little shred of light I'd been using, and suddenly my vision is as dark as when I closed my eyes.

"Turn the light back on!" I growl, but Moon hums, leaning against a wall and adjusting me so I was properly laid down in his lap, placing a pillow under my head and the previous thick, fluffy blanket under me to prevent his spindly joints causing me any discomfort.

"No little star, it's beddy byes time now." His voice is a whisper, and he rocks me gently as I refuse to stop trying to escape, causing him to eventually sigh and press a spherical object past my lips. A sweet.

His hand is over my mouth so I can't spit it out; and even as I refuse to crunch or swallow the treat, it melts and drops down my throat, filling my mind with fog and relaxing my body in his hold.

I'm barely half awake as the teat of a bottle enters my mouth, and I can practically feel Moon frown as I refuse to suck on it, him squeezing at the sides of the bottle so that regular drops of sweet milk escape.

This goes on until the entirely of the small thing is empty, and a dummy is quickly replacing it as I lose control of both body and mind, submerged in a landscape of dreams and nightmares alike.

At least tomorrow is another day to try and escape.