A Metaphorical Key

Coming into consciousness for a second time is somehow worse than the first, thanks to the feeling of metal arms constricted around me, the lingering fog of the moondrop receding and leaving me feeling uncomfortable and claustrophobic. I'm laying vertically on top of the animatronic, both of us scooched over from where I was originally restrained.

Opening my eyes enough to just barely get a blurred view of the metal chest pressed against my face, I try to discreetly peer upwards to see if the moon robot is... Functional? Awake? Charging? Whatever you'd call it. Accidentally twitching as I strain my eyes to peek up, I freeze; waiting for a reaction. Nothing.

Testing the waters, deciding I have nothing to lose besides a close up of a painted bot-chest, I pull away as hard as I can.

Arms fall limp to its sides.

It feels like I just won some imaginary contest as I pull myself across the floor, struggling to untangle myself from the fucking blanket. I don't succeed in escaping, much to my chagrin, but I do notice what appears to be a charging cable attached to the bot's back and plugged into the wall. Blinking, I roll myself across to the knocked out bastard and rip out the cable using my teeth, tossing it across the room to land in a heap of broken S.T.A.F.F bot parts.

There's no response from Moon, and I let out a belated grin. "With any luck that'll keep you out permanently..." I mutter half to myself and half to freak-face over there, using my new found freedom to survey the room.

It's still dark, but more illuminated now that the daycare lights are glaring in from the other rooms, presumably meaning it's morning. After all, moondrops shouldn't be strong enough to knock me out until midday, given they're designed for children.

But I have more important things to ponder now that I have actual light to see by and time to spare - and I quickly check the room, behind each scrap of junk and in the shadows of the arcade, trying my best to keep my distance from Moon as I did so.

During my search I figured some of the ripped metal could be useful if I could free my arms or find a place to stash it, even if it wouldn't do a lot against a seven foot robot that could outrun me with ease.

After the cubby room was thoroughly assessed I move on to the balcony space, wiggling through the connecting tube like a worm and flopping out on the other side, coming face to face with stuffies and a table of wires and tools. "Are they fixing themselves or something?" I murmur, noticing the lights fixed all around, off at the moment but unusual in their amount. It's a miracle I hadn't seen it sooner, the outline of the door catching my eye as I turn to wade deeper into my prison.

The door is... Beautifully promising. Wherever it leads has to be better than here.

Making my way over, I manage to raise myself enough to catch the handle with my chin, feeling it reluctantly give way for me, clearly rusted and unused.

It's unlocked.

My proud smile freezes as I hear the groan of metal joints reach my ears, the stalled bot seeming to clamber to his feet.

"Star??"

Cursing under my breath, I wince as I attempt to pull the door closed as quietly and quickly as I can manage, feeling sick at the taste and not-exactly-silent clang of said door being pulled closed, the handle jangling as it's released.

"Star, what are you doing?" Moon whispers.

"What the-!?" I fall onto my back as I'm met with glowing red eyes from the shadowed tube, unable to catch myself with the blanket restricting the movement of my legs - or any of me for that matter.

It takes a single swift step for him to reach me, hands gripping my waist and lifting me to my chest loosely enough for me to be able to look up and meet his optics as he frets, seeming to be on the verge of spiralling into another worry episode.

"What do you want?" I mutter, not bothering to raise my voice this time.

The only sign he looks away is the slight tilt of his head, his pupil-less eyes unblinking and bright. His grip tightens the tiniest bit, enough to let me know I'm not going anywhere, but minus the threat of pain.

"You mustn't play with that door, little bird," he rasps, "it's not safe out there. We know you want to play, but it's much more fun here, we promise."

I narrow my eyes, head already aching from the stress of talking to something that's clearly not giving any of my demands any thought. It doesn't matter what I say, does it? As of now he has no reason to let me leave, and I have nothing to convince him with.

Moon's head tilts.

"Our little bird is bored."

I glare. "Fuck off."

Being held like this makes an uncomfortable feeling swell up in my chest, and I squirm in his hold, much to his concern.

He almost seems to frown, taking a tentative step forward with me cuddled up in the crook of his arm, before taking more decisive steps to the light switch. I try to throw myself out of his hold, and he quickly curls his arm around me as he grabs me gently with the other, checking me over for injuries.

"Be careful! Wouldn't want my little star getting an owie."

His finger lingers by the switch as his eyes meet mine, and he hums.

"Be a good girl for Sunny. I'll see you soon, little love."

I don't know what's worse - being coddled by a cuddly robot, or an overactive, hyper one. I quickly get my answer.

"Flower!! It feels like it's been foreeeeeveeer since I last saw you!! Even though I was technically watching you from Moony's eyes, but I mean face to face! I really envy Moony being able to cuddle you aaaaaaaall night!!"

Sun is as bright as his namesake, eagerly bouncing me in his arms and swaying joyfully from side to side. I have a feeling that even if he were able to emote his grin would still be just as wide, and his rays retract slightly as he leans down to nuzzle his faceplate against my own face carefully, before they begin spinning happily.

"Let's go play, yes yes!! Oh, but first we gotta check your back, can't have our flower running around with bruises, no siree!"

I freeze as Sun unwraps my soft cocoon with practiced speed, and the literal weight off my shoulders makes me release a breath I didn't know I had been holding. Compared to a second ago, I feel like I could fly off the balcony.

Noticing Sun's hand moving in the corner of my eye I flinch, throwing a punch at him as he goes to lift my shirt, jumping backwards.

Not faster than Sun though, whose arm shot out and pulled me back as though afraid I'd trip. Both my hands are clasped in his left one, and he presses me against his body as his head leans over to check my back, exposed by his right hand.

"Nothing there, lucky lucky! You don't feel hurt, do you?" He chirps, his voice ever so slightly quieter than before.

I go from digging my nails into his silicone as hard as I can to preparing to convince him yet again to let me leave, before a realisation washes over me.

Perhaps making an already obsessed, overprotective robot worry over nonexistent pains isn't the best of ideas - god help me if he gets any more clingy - but right now, a distraction is the metaphorical key to my door to freedom.