It Takes a Family

Mimosa hasn't seen Yuno in a few days.

In fact, she hasn't seen much of him at all in the past few months, and the times she has were always brief; the wind mage quickly (albeit awkwardly) coming up with an excuse to scurry on his way. According to Klaus, Yuno had been spending more time with Asta, which in of itself wasn't unusual but it was definitely different.

She was beginning to get worried if she was being honest with herself. Yuno wasn't acting like he had when he first joined the Dawn—he was still talking to the other members of the squad just fine, it was only her that he was avoiding.

She truly hopes she hasn't done something to upset her friend, and if she has she's desperate to find out what could have caused the rift so she can apologize properly.

It doesn't help that Noelle has also suddenly gone no-contact with her. It's like the closest people in her life have suddenly cut her off.

She goes to Klaus about it but he merely stutters out that she needs to give both Yuno and Noelle some space for the time being.

And Mimosa is sure he's right.

If she's done something to upset them then maybe letting them cool off was the right thing to do.

But then she sees Yuno at the hospital.

She's volunteering her services at the capitals hospital since recovery mages are still in short supply when she runs into him.

He's not a patient but he's very clearly visiting someone.

He's carrying what appears to be bags of supplies for whom she guessing is a patient who's going to be spending a fair bit of time in hospital.

"Yuno?" she asks, startled to see him "what are you doing here?"

"Uh-" he stutters "just...visiting."

"Okay," she nods slowly. "visiting who?"

A brief look of panic flashes in Yuno's eyes and words begin to fumble out of his mouth.

"No one! Well someone but they're not important—well they are important but it's not important for you to know!"

"It's Asta isn't it?"

"Um...yes?"

"He's gotten hurt again hasn't he?!"

"...yes?"

"Take me to his room, I can help heal him!"

"I mean no!"

...

"What?" Mimosa looks at him like he's grown two heads "what do you mean no?"

"He's not hurt, he's just...sick?"

"Sick enough to be brought to the royal capital?!" she pales. "Oh my goodness, Yuno, why didn't you tell me?!"

"Wait—"

"Excuse me!" she calls to one of the nurses who passes by. "This boy's brother is staying in one of the hospital rooms here—can you please take us to him?"

The nurse stops in her tracks and looks at them curiously. When she sees Yuno, however, her eyes light up in recognition.

"Hello Yuno, lost again?"

Asta has been here long enough that the staff are beginning to recognize Yuno—surely that cannot be a good sign.

"Um-"

"Follow me, I'll take you to their room."

Mimosa thanks the young woman and quickly begins to drag a shell-shocked looking Yuno down the hall after her.