Secret Revealed

This one-shot was requested by IJthepeculiar . Thanks for requesting this! I hope you enjoy this chapter <3

TW: homophobia, panic attack

◈━◈━◈━◈━◈

"Happy birthday, Alma," whispered Isabel into the peregrine's ear. Kissing her cheek she put a small paper-wrapped package in her lap.

The two ymbrynes were sitting on Isabel's bed in their shared room. Warm autumn breeze occasionally flowed inside through the open window and played with Alma's raven hair. She decided to keep it down for the day as it was the weekend and she had no schoolwork to finish. No school and no Jack. This day was going to be perfect.

The cuckoo peaked Alma's shoulder as she expectantly waited for her best friend to open her gift.

"You didn't need to get me anything, my dear," blushed Alma, searching her lover's eyes.

"Nonsense, It's your birthday!" Isabel booped the ravenette's nose. "I'll get you something whether you like it or not!"

Alma giggled and pulled her closer.

The gift in her lap was wrapped in light green paper with little flowers drawn all over it, topped with a large forest green bow. She ran her hand over its edge, relishing the moment of surprise.

"Go on, open it," encouraged Isabel.

The ravenette closed her eyes and pulled on the bow. The sound of rustling gift paper filled the air. Opening her eyes, Alma froze. In her hands laid a beautiful hand-bound volume of Frankenstein. Alma gasped. Intrigued she ran her hands along the lake foam green binding.

Leaning back and laying her head on Isabel's shoulder she listed through the book. It was a stunning edition. Alma already had one but she read it so often that some of the pages started to fall from their binding. Isabel sometimes teased her that at this point she'd be able to recite the whole book by heart. She was partially correct, but Alma didn't want to give her the satisfaction of confirmation. She couldn't help herself; the story resonated with her. A monster searching acceptance.

She looked at the first page. There was a detailed lino print picturing the lonely creature on his journey through the prejudiced world. Admiring the artwork she slowly looked down the page. Laying her eyes on the publication date she stopped dead in her tracks. 1831 Edition. The book was published 50 years before the ymbryne academy loop was established. She quickly listed through the book again looking for signs of ageing, but all the pages looked brand new, with no wear and tear anywhere in sight. "How in the world did you manage that?"

The french girl shrugged.

"I happened to come across Miss Avocet's map of old loops and I may have made a copy of some locations. Then I may have used that to time jump a few times to find my lover's favourite book of all time. Sadly I couldn't get my hands on the 1818 edition. Did you know they printed just 500 copies? People loved this book and they immediately sold out so I decided to find the next available edition. Nothing special," declared Isabel nonchalantly, drawing small patterns into Alma's back.

"You're incredible!" exclaimed Alma. But remembering how Isabel managed to travel back in time in the first place, her expression quickly changed.  "You stole Miss Avocet's loop map?!"

Observing her lover's rapid change of heart the cuckoo giggled. "Easy tiger, I merely borrowed it. It's back in its place." Anxiety faded from the peregrine's eyes as quickly as it had appeared and she laid her head on Isabel's shoulder again.